Soft delicata squash and hearty lentils collide in this incredibly flavor-packed lentil delicata squash chicken curry! Serve over hot fluffy rice for a hearty, healthy winter meal.
Apparently it’s healthy food season which is also conflicting with my cozy food season.
It’s a non-issue, guys. Cause we’ve got freaking HUGE piles of lentil delicate squash chicken curry in da house.
Granted, we don’t do curry too often around here especially not since this keeper recipe, but I was really feelin’ the lentils in a super-hearty January-type meal.
And chicken curry just hits all those buttons. And delicate squash is just overall life. Not the surprise of the century.
This lentil delicate squash chicken curry is pretty much just about the coziest thing I’ve made this year to date. Yes, I am aware the year just started yesterday. Never mind.
Layers upon layers of flavors go into this chicken curry and trust me, it is SO worth it. Soft delicate squash cubes, hearty lentils, tender chicken cubes, and all those signature curry spices are all cooked up in the same pot and it makes for one legendary curry.
Ask me how all of the above tastes piled over hot fluffy rice. I’ll tell you that you’d better prepare yourself for multiple mountains of this cozy food goodness.
It’s chicken curry ALL winter long here, y’all.
Lentil Delicata Squash Chicken Curry
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in cubes
- 2 cups delicata squash (1-in cubes)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot rice for serving
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute chicken, squash, onion, and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in tomato paste, and spices. Let cook 2 minutes until fragrant, then gradually add coconut milk stirring until combined. Add lentils and let curry simmer over medium heat until delicata squash is tender and curry is slightly thickened. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve curry over rice and enjoy!