Take your morning oatmeal bowls up a notch! These caramelized banana oatmeal bowls are jam-packed with flaked coconut, chia seeds, and incredibly addicting caramelized bananas!
Can I let you in on a poor college girl’s deepest secret? I eat an embarrassing and probably unnecessary amount of those flavored instant oatmeal packets. Especially for a 22-year old, it’s bad, guys.
Breakfast is my laziest and cheapest meal of the day and I will freely admit that. So oatmeal packets happen, rinse and repeat, the end.
Enter the part of the story where these caramelized banana oatmeal bowls entered my life. The instant oatmeal packets got shoved a little farther back into the pantry, praise the Lord.
Obviously nothing could stand against coconut, chia seeds, and caramelized bananas hanging out in this bowl of breakfast oatmeal beauty. Help, it’s so good.
I recently fell in love with adding chia seeds to my oatmeal because they make the texture SO incredibly good plus add tons ‘o protein. The coconut is there because I love coconut with every ounce of my being and it belongs here.
Other than that, it’s just your basic creamy bowl ‘o old-fashioned oatmeal. << it’s nostalgic and you’re gonna love it for that.
I also recently fell in love with adding caramelized bananas to pretty much everything as you can see. I don’t need a reason as to why.
Hiiiiii, I have officially been eating this every morning all week because it is 1000x better than the oatmeal packets of which we do not speak of. ^^^
Coconut Chia Caramelized Banana Oatmeal Bowls
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons half and half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high, then stir in oats and chia seeds. Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until oatmeal is thick and creamy. Remove from heat and stir in agave and cinnamon. Keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-heat, melt sugar, butter, and agave together and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally until caramel is a deep golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in cream, salt and bananas.
- To serve, spoon oatmeal into bowls and top with warm caramelized bananas, Top each bowl with toasted coconut and serve immediately. Enjoy!