Coconut and key lime are the BEST combo in these incredibly tender and buttery coconut key lime pie scones.—Like key lime pie in breakfast form!
Pies + scones is probably about the most weirdest-sounding combo you’ll hear all day, but hear me out, guys.
It’s definitely about 90% scone and 10% pie. The pie portion being all the works of key lime pie and nopeeeee, you will not hate it.
There is also obscene amounts of coconut sighted. And its all in the base of a scone with cream cheese glaze slathered into every spare inch.
Again, definitely not key lime pie, but it’s in the ballpark. Possibly even a league of its own because its so freaking incredible.
Our scone base is gonna have all the basics which is flour, baking powder, salt, and a little sugar for the dry ingredients, then cold butter, greek yogurt, an egg, and half-and-half for liquid. <<< the basic base that I use for every single scone I make
And for today…..a hefty pilin’ of flaked coconut, a splash of lime juice, and a whooooole lotta’ zest are gonna take us on one heck of a key lime pie scones trip.
A big ‘ol drizzle of cream cheese glaze definitely never hurt anyone either, FYI. I also highly recommend it straight outta the mixing bowl.
Oh my gooooooosh. You can seriously taste all the key lime pie + coconut goodness in every bite of these ridiculously flaky and buttery scones.
Don’t even ask how long a batch lasts because its ranging in the 10 minutes or less timeframe for reals.
Coconut Key Lime Pie Scones
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Mix in yogurt, eggs, cream, lime juice, and zest until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead several times until dough comes together. Pat dough into a 1-in thick round. Cut round into 8 wedges and place wedges on prepared baking sheets. Bake scones at 425F 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar together until completely creamy. Add lime juice by the tablespoon until glaze is drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones. Let set 5 minutes then enjoy!
Lauren @ Lemon & Mocha says
I am loving this creation! Key lime is one of my favorite flavors and these scones look so flaky! Yum!