Insanely creamy, yet light cream of asparagus soup is a DREAM paired with crispy Parmesan croutons piled on top! This soup is perfect for using up all that asparagus.
Green is clearly our theme this week and there is absolutely NOTHING to hate about that.
Except the fact that gulping down cream of asparagus soup with Parmesan croutons as fast as humanly possible isn’t considered a socially acceptable practice. ??
The asparagus freak in all of us should be going completely WILD today because this soup is actually dreamy and magical and all that stuff.
And I don’t know about you but any soup that comes with croutons or really any form of bread nearby is cause for giddy excitement.
This cream of asparagus soup literally only uses a HANDFUL of ingredients for the base. I kid you not, we are keeping it uber simple today. Plus you get to BLEND soup which is literally one of the most fun things ever, period.
The base is (spoileeeeer) asparagus, which we’re gonna blanche and then throw a ton of other goodies into the pot like milk, cream, chicken broth, butter, etc. All da good stuff.
Try to refrain from screaming when you blend all this together and feast your eyes on that luscious GREEN. Resist the urge to grab a straw causeeeeeee….
….You wanna hold out for the Parmesan croutons, trust me. I hope you have better luck than I did not eating them all straight off the sheet.
This soup is SO dreamily creamy (say that 10x fast) yet, SUPER light tasting at the same time. And the green just helps ya feel good about yourself, ya know? Bread and cheese also play a role in that for obvious reasons.
The soup of SPRING. You’re gonna want a straw for this.
Cream of Asparagus Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanche asparagus in boiling water until asparagus is crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to cool then drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, melt butter then saute onion and garlic until just lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in chicken stock until smooth then add milk and cream. Bring to a low simmer over medium heat.
- Place asparagus in a high-speed blender and pour stock mixture on top. Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Return soup to pot and bring to a low simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, toss all crouton ingredients until coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400F 8-10 minutes until crispy
- Serve soup warm with Parmesan croutons on top. Enjoy!