Tender sweet potatoes and melt-in-your-mouth beef paired with tons of cozy curry spices make this one-pot beef sweet potato chickpea curry one for the dinner record books!
Cozy food season, we are looking STRAIGHT ‘atcha. While stuffing our respective faces with one-pot beef sweet potato chickpea curry.
Ahhhh yesssss. It’s comfort foods like this glorious pot right here that remind me why fall is the freaking best season.
And really, there is absolutely NO GOING WRONG with a good curry. Especially when your curry story involves fall-apart tender beef cubes, soft sweet potatoes, tons of chickpeas, and the most flavorful spiced curry sauce ever.
Best ever piled over fluffy jasmine rice. Also the best ever straight from the skillet. Again, no going wrong here in your face-shoving methods.
A basic rule of thumb for curries is that the longer you let them simmer for, the more incredible the flavors are gonna be and the more tender the meat will be too. Waiting is the hardest part but is WORTH IT here. Curries are one of the most flavor-filled meals ever if you do it right.
Basically we’ve got three steps to this beef sweet potato chickpea curry. Brown the meat and veggies, start building your sauce base, then simmer for a good 35 minutes (or longer if you have the time!)
Shove curry in face at unnaturally high rates of speed. Rinse and repeat.
There’s nothing quite like a big heaping pile of this flavor city beef sweet potato chickpea curry piled over fluffy mountains of rice. Make sure you spoon up more of that sauce on top because its GOOOOLD.
And your dinner for the rest of cozy food season and beyond is looking like pure gold, letz be honest.
One-Pot Beef Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lbs top round steak, cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot rice for serving
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmery. Add beef and onion and saute several minutes until beef is lightly browned. Add sweet potatoes and garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium and add spices and tomato paste, stirring until combined. Add crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, and chickpeas and bring curry to a low simmer, then reduce heat and let simmer at low for 30-35 minutes or until beef and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir fresh cilantro and salt and pepper to taste into curry and serve hot over rice. Enjoy!