Crispy smashed potatoes are covered in a creamy balsamic sauce packed with caramelized onions and tender mushrooms for the ULTIMATELY easy side or appetizer!
Cause who doesn’t love a good crispaaaay smashed potato loaded down with so much fantastic goodness?
Recommended serving size = entire pan. Giving out life hacks for free over here, guys.
Don’t ya just loveeeeee it when tater dishes like this double duty as both appetizers and dinner sides? That’s what we’re looking at today, friends.
Crispy smashed potatoes for snackin’. Crispy smashed potatoes for main coursin’.
Here’s how it goes down. >>> We oven-bake a mess ‘o red potatoes. Drizzle ’em in the good stuff, aka butter. Smash ’em flatso and back into the oven until crispy as heck.
Caramelized onions + mushrooms in a balsamic cream sauce meet your crispy vehicle. You’re gonna get along just fine.
Commence fast and furious face shoving. Rinse and repeat.
Hands down the dreamiest thing you could possibly do to a potato this weekend, guys. Game day food? You betcha. Killer side to your steak dinner? Heck yes.
Just make sure you make copious amounts. And send me half?
Balsamic Caramelized Onion Mushroom Crispy Smashed Potatoes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 6-8 medium red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons + 2 additional tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Prick red potatoes all over with a fork and arrange on a greased baking sheet. Bake potatoes at 400F 35-40 minutes until very tender. Immediately smash potatoes flat with the bottom of a glass. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter until bubbly then add onions, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep caramelized brown. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add balsamic vinegar, seasonings, and heavy cream. Bring to a low simmer until slightly thickened. Keep warm.
- Drizzle smashed potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and return to oven. Broil 2-3 minutes until potatoes are a deep crispy golden brown.
- Spoon mushroom sauce over potatoes and return to oven under broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes until sauce is bubby. Serve smashed potatoes hot and enjoy!