Deeply flavorful and incredibly flaky browned butter biscuits are the ultimate fall indulgence piled high with tons of homemade apple preserves!
Raise your hand if you are here for the BROWNED BUTTER. And maybe some apple preserves and biscuits somewhere in the background?
We are in it to freakin WIN IT in fall land today, friends. Hooooow the heck is it October already?? Clearly, we need to bring in extra-strength fall stuff today cause this season is about to go doooown for real.
And if flaky browned butter biscuits cracked open with juicy apple preserves piled into all the cracks isn’t serious fall business, please enlighten me as to what is.
But while you’re doing so, please have a biscuit. They’re good for the fall soul, promise.
Don’t be intimidated by the fact that these biscuits have the almighty browned butter hangin’ out inside them. Literally, these are the EASIEST biscuits to throw together and all it really requires is a little planning ahead since we have to a) brown the butter b) let it chill out in the freezer until solid c) Proceed with biscuit business as usual. (I go into detail in the recipe, no worries)
Apple preserves are even EASIER than the actual biscuits. Honestly, we’re just throwing some butter, peeled and sliced apples, sugar, molasses, spices, and vanilla in a pot, setting it on med-low and forgetting about it for awhile to focus on biscuits.
You will want to eat them with a spoon they are seriously so juicy, perfectly spiced, and brown sugary, but PLEASEEE hold off and let browned butter biscuits be your apple preserves holder. Just trust me.
And daaaaaang if those two flavors don’t play the most amazing flavor duet together. The deep, caramelized butter flavor in the biscuits combined with the tender sugary spiced apples is a thing of fall beauty.
I see these biscuits as sandwiches. Cause they basically are? Bam, lunch and dinner. You’re welcome.
Browned Butter Biscuits with Apple Preserves
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled browned butter (previously prepared above)
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until a deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl. Chill brown butter at least 30 minutes or until solidified.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine apples, butter, sugar, molasses, and spices and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer 15-20 minutes until reduced and thickened. Add vanilla and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt until combined. Remove browned butter from refrigerator and use your fingers to work chilled butter into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly.
- Pour buttermilk on top of flour mixture and gently fold until a shaggy dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and very gently knead several times until dough just comes together (do NOT overknead dough or biscuits will be tough)
- Pat dough into a 1-in thick rectangle and use a 1-in biscuit cutter to cut biscuits out. Place biscuits 2-in apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Chill biscuits in freezer 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake biscuits 12-15 minutes until a deep golden brown. Let biscuits cool several minutes then split open and serve warm with apple preserves. Enjoy!