Turkey chili twice-baked sweet potatoes are the PERFECT healthier way to get your chili fix! Soft sweet potatoes are packed with flavorful turkey chili, tons of cheese, and all your favorite chili toppings.
I’ve got the perfect vehicle for you to get your chili fix every night. It may be a ginormous sweet potato and there may also be cheese involved.
Cause chili cravings this time of year are a very real thing and if you need proof, just ask my dutch oven that has been recently renamed as The Almighty Chili Pot.
When it gets cold for the first time in Wisconsin, it means business and the first week or so is always a horrifying shock to the system. Obviously cozy food is consumed in mass quantities during this week and for all the weeks prior.
And we do cool things around here like break open sweet potatoes, stuff ’em with turkey chili, and pile cheese on top.
This is weeknight dinner 101 going down here today, y’all. Heck, if you have leftover chili you can even skip the whole chili-making step in this recipe and just roast a bunch of sweet ‘taters and pile them with leftover chili and cheese.
But in my defense, the turkey chili hanging out in these beauties is pretty fantastic. It’s packed full ‘o spice, veggies, lean turkey meat, etc. Doesn’t taste half bad covered with tons ‘o melty cheeeeeeese either….
Obviously you must top these bad boys with overdose amounts of chili toppings. When in doubt, just overdo it on the green onions and sour cream. Necessities in my chili world.
Suggested serving size: 1 potato. Actual serving size? Let’s just go with the whole pan.
Turkey Chili Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Turkey Chili Topping
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned small-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and green onions for serving
- Place potatoes in a 9x13 casserole dish and brush with olive oil. Roast sweet potatoes at 400F 35-40 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, split sweet potatoes open and fluff inside. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey, onion, and carrot until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic and saute 1 minute
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant, then stir in diced tomatoes and black beans. Bring chili to a low simmer then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill split sweet potatoes with chili and top each with cheddar cheese. Broil sweet potatoes under high 1-2 minutes until cheese is browned and melted.
- Serve sweet potatoes hot with sour cream and green onions on top and enjoy!