Flavorful roasted red peppers and creamy pumpkin take this ultimately cheesy baked roasted red pepper mac ‘n’ cheese to the next level! THE creamiest mac ‘n’ cheese ever.
How about I tempt you today with the cheesiest, most carb-filled goodness your Monday will ever see?
I kid you not: this isn’t a mac ‘n’ cheese for the faint of heart. It’s literally the cheesiest thing you will ever fast and furiously stuff in your face on repeat.
Gaze in wonder at the fact that we’ve ALSO got pumpkin + roasted red peppers coming in clutch. This is literally all of my favorite things in one pan and I would hazard to guess that’s the case for many of y’all.
Just to give you an idea of the level of carb insanity we’ve got going on here: picture me with a serving spoon + that whole pan down there.
Actually, don’t. Yikes.
Okay, so for all of y’all new to the game where we put squash/pumpkin in our pasta and legit die over how incredible it is, you’ve GOTTA trust me on this: the squash-y flavors are subtle and pretty much all it’s doing is lending incredible creamy textures to this mac ‘n’ cheese. I used homemade pumpkin puree here because I’m extra, but the store-bought stuff is just dandy too.
Cheese is also dandy and speaking of which, there’s LOTS of it here. My mac ‘n’ cheese dang better have extra cheese in every bite.
Yes, there’s roasted red peppers here too. Yes, I know that’s a thing I always do. In my mind, roasted red peppies belong on literally.every.dang.thing. Is there a problem here?
The only problem I’m seeing is a spoon big enough to attack this pan of roasted red pepper mac ‘n’ cheese goodness the RIGHT way.
I’m picturing this mac as literal Thanksgiving side dish ESSENTIALS if you’re a mac ‘n’ cheese for T-Day side kinda family. Mine definitely is not, but I’m thinking there will be zero complaints with a pan or six of THIS on the table.
No plates required. Eat your cheese lovin’ heart out, fam.
Baked Pumpkin Roasted Red Pepper Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups jarred sliced roasted red peppers
- 12 oz penne pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour until completely smooth and let cook 1 minute until golden brown. Slowly whisk in half and half, milk, pumpkin, and cayenne until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in cheeses until melted. Add roasted red peppers and cooked pasta and stir until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake mac 'n' cheese at 375F 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!