Sharp white cheddar, smoky bacon, and lots of scallions are the perfect flavor trio for these savory cheddar bacon scallion scones. – perfect for breakfast or alongside your favorite soup!
This scone lover is about to go to the dark side. Which is the SAVORY side and includes all the goods such as bacon, cheddar, scallions, more cheddar, more bacon, more cheddar, etc.
PSA: the savory factor of these scones makes them an anytime kinda deal. What can I say except you’re welcome.
These white cheddar bacon scallion scones are kinda the perfect middle ground between a muffin and a biscuit. They are INCREDIBLY fluffy and tender on the inside, while simultaneously flaky and buttery. There’s cheese, bacon, and scallions shoved into every spare crack and it is to DIE for.
I mean, lookit how fat and loaded they are!!! That’s the kinda stuff we like to see around here.
We’re just gonna follow basic scone 101 on these little guys today which is gonna mean all the basics such as flour, sugar, salt, cold butter, etc. You get it.
As always, we’re gonna want these scones very cold prior to baking so the butter forms all those swoonworthy flaky layers while they bake. The cheddar will also form little gooey cheese pockets which is literally out.of.this.world.
Would 10/10 recommend devouring these straight outta the oven before word gets out that they exist.
These disappeared from my kitchen counter in literally less than half a day, so suffice to say I would also recommend double or triple batches.
And midnight snacks? You know what’s up.
White Cheddar Bacon Scallion Scones
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, grated using the large holes on a box grater and frozen
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter and work into flour with fingers until pea-sized clumps form. Stir in cheese, bacon, and scallions.
- Drizzle in milk and egg and fold mixture until a shaggy dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead several times until dough just comes together.
- Form dough into a 1-in high circle and cut into eight wedges. Place wedges 1-in apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake scones at 400F 18-20 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes then serve warm. Enjoy!