Green chile cheeseburgers are piled high with flavorful roasted chiles, tender shiitake mushrooms, and crispy bacon for the ultimate take on this burger classic!
How is it almost 4th of July weekend already?? So many summer eats we have to prioritize this week in anticipation.
Soooo let’s get the ball rolling with these green chile cheeseburgers! Every good story starts with a cheeseburger.
BTW, I’m sharing my favorite 4th of July recipes all week on my Instagram if you need some inspo for your cookout this weekend!
But let’s get into the nitty gritty of these cheeseburgers. Basically it’s like the classic green chile cheeseburgers kicked WAY up a notch.
In the direction of a) bacon b) shiitake mushrooms c) freaking pickled radishes (!) This is one massive burger, guys, and you won’t want it any other way.
Except maybe two on your plate. Hey, it’s our nation’s birthday week! Celebrate accordingly.
Let’s get prep underway for these green chile cheeseburgers! >>
First on the agenda is pickled radishes. I know, pretty much the smallest component to these burgers, but TRUST ME, they add just the perfect finishing flavor touch. Plus they’re a stunning pink. Overall, they just win.
We’re just doing a quick pickle of apple cider vinegar + honey and letting our radishes hang out in the pickling brine at least an hour.
Let’s talk burgers! Green chiles is the first order of business. We’re roasting fresh green or anaheim chiles until the outside is charred, peeling the skin and seeds off, and slicing them into strips. Easy as heck and SO much better than the canned stuff!
From there, we’re just forming our burger patties, prepping a mess of gorgeous shiitake mushrooms and throwing it all on the grill. I prefer to use a grill basket for the shiitake mushrooms, but a piece of tin foil will work as well!
Assembly for these bad boys include the following: A big ‘ol fluffy bun + burger patty + pepper jack cheese + mushrooms + bacon + chiles + pickled radishes + a few sprigs of cilantro.
Good luck for real fitting your face around this cheeseburger goodness. ?
It’s about to go down in burger town. ??
More killer burgers that definitely need a spot on your cookout menu!
Shiitake Mushroom Bacon Green Chile Cheeseburgers
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 medium radishes, very thinly sliced
- 3 medium fresh green or Anaheim chiles
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 strips bacon, cooked until crispy
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- In a small jar, whisk vinegar and honey. Submerge radishes in vinegar mixture and refrigerate 1 hour or up to several days.
- Place chiles on a preheated grill (or use a broiler with the oven rack very close to the heat) and turn peppers occasionally until blackened all over and tender.
- Wrap the peppers in plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes. Cut peppers in half, then use paper towels to rub away skin and seeds. Slice peppers into strips and set aside.
- Divide ground beef into 4 equal pieces. Form into patties and season outside with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, toss shiitake mushrooms with olive oil and salt and pepper taste. Using a grill basket or a sheet of tin foil, grill shiitake mushrooms, turning occasionally until mushrooms are tender. Keep warm.
- Grill burger patties over preheated grill, flipping once until burgers register your desired degree of doneness (140-145F for medium, 150-155 for medium-well) Top burgers with cheese, cover, and let stand 30-60 seconds until cheese is melted.
- Place burger patties on toasted buns and top with shiitake mushrooms, sliced chiles, bacon, pickled radishes, and cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!