Made completely in one skillet and ready in only 40 minutes, this sticky ginger chicken and broccoli is perfectly sweet, saucy, and incredible piled over hot rice.
Weeknights were MADE for consecutive bowls of perfectly sticky, saucy ginger chicken. Pretty much every other night of the week too.
Stir fry night is always a winner in our house so this hefty skillet ticks all the boxes! Green stuff included so you can have that second helping.
Best part? We’re pulling off everything in ONE pan in under an hour so dinner is basically won.
If you love that gloriously sweet ‘n’ sticky chicken you get from your favorite Chinese place, this skillet has your name written aaaalll over it.
For a fraction of the price and you get tons of leftovers, bam.
This Sticky Ginger Chicken features…
- Juicy chicken chunks and tender broccoli pieces
- A sweet, sticky ginger sauce
- 40 minutes to make and made completely in one skillet
Making the Sticky Ginger Chicken
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Vegetable oil
- Rice wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Oyster sauce (optional)
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend either boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts for this recipe. We find thighs tend to stay a bit more juicy than breasts, but both will work fine.
Whichever you decide to go with, use a sharp knife to cut chicken into 1-inch cubes, keeping them as uniform as possible so they cook evenly.
Tips for Perfect Chicken and Broccoli
- Sear chicken cubes – arrange chicken in a single layer in a large skillet and sear on all sides, turning occasionally until golden brown.
- Saute aromatics – the white parts of scallion, lots of fresh ginger, and garlic get sauteed until just fragrant. Don’t let them overcook!
- Build sauce and simmer chicken + broccoli – from there, we’re going to start building the sauce, bring to a simmer, and allow the chicken and broccoli to finish cooking in the sauce until the sauce is reduced and sticky.
- Add green parts of scallion – fold the green parts into the skillet until they start to wilt a bit. Adding the green parts last helps give this skillet a boost of flavor!
How to Meal Prep Chicken and Broccoli
You can make up the entirety of this chicken and broccoli ahead of time and store alongside rice in meal prep containers in refrigerator up to 6 days.
To reheat, microwave chicken and broccoli with rice 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals.
There are several ways you can twist this recipe to suit your preferences or use what you have readily available in the house! –>
- Switch up the vegetables – omit the broccoli or add another vegetable or two! Sliced mushrooms, zucchini, or sweet pepper would all be great in this recipe.
- Swap out the meat – thinly sliced sirloin steak or even cubed tofu would work great in place of the chicken.
What to Serve with Chicken and Broccoli
We recommend serving chicken and broccoli over steamed rice or your favorite noodle. You can also serve it over quinoa or cauliflower rice for a low-carb option!
The sauce smothering this chicken and broccoli is actually liquid gold. It’s perfectly sweet, just the right amount of sticky, and perfect for soaking into the inevitable mountain of rice you serve with this chicken.
Best takeout-fakeout you’ll make this week, promise you that!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
We love anything made in a skillet around here! Try these similar recipes next.
Skillet Sticky Ginger Chicken and Broccoli
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-in pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small bunch scallions, white parts finely chopped and green parts cut into 1-in pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Rice or noodles for serving
- Season chicken pieces lightly with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add vegetable oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add chicken to pan and sear chicken on all sides, turning occasionally until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add white parts of scallions, ginger, and garlic to pan drippings and saute 1-2 additional minutes until fragrant. Add brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and oyster sauce if using and bring to a low simmer.
- Add chicken and broccoli to skillet and let simmer 5-8 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender and sauce is slightly reduced and sticky.
- Add green parts of scallions to skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve sticky chicken and broccoli warm over rice or noodles and enjoy!