Green chile chicken enchilada casserole cooks up entirely in one skillet and is the easiest weeknight dinner! Load this flavorful skillet up with all your favorite enchilada toppings.
We live for a good skillet dinner around here. And if that dinner happens to include enchiladas and a whole bunch of toppings? We’re all set.
Green enchiladas are a family favorite of ours, so we were super excited to try an easy one-pan recipe using simple ingredients and leftover chicken for the ultimate ease.
And if that doesn’t make you wanna dive headfirst into this glorious skillet I don’t know what will.
Best part? It’s almost mess-free and will only dirty a couple dishes, plus you can meal prep it way ahead of time.
Kiss those boring taco nights goodbye. You’re about to get a major upgrade.
This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole features…
- Layers of creamy green chile chicken filling between tender corn tortillas
- Tons of cheesy goodness
- Plenty of room for all the enchilada toppings you desire
- Made entirely in one skillet in only minutes
Making the Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Sweet corn
- Cream cheese
- Green chiles
- Green enchilada sauce
- Sour cream
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded colby jack cheese
Choosing Your Chicken
This recipe is a great use for leftover chicken! We typically buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it into bite-sized pieces to keep it easy, but any kind of pre-cooked chicken works great.
Tips for Perfect Enchilada Casserole
- Use corn tortillas – we find that 6-inch corn tortillas gives this casserole an unmatchable classic enchilada flavor. Flour tortillas will also work fine for this recipe.
- Make creamy chicken filling – shredded cooked chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, corn, green chiles, and a little enchilada sauce make up the filling. It’s super creamy, packed with flavor, and kinda just heaven on earth.
- Use a cast iron skillet – we find a 9-inch cast iron skillet works best for this recipe, but any oven-safe skillet will work.
- Layer enchiladas in skillet – we’re going to do three layers of enchilada sauce, tortillas, chicken filling, and shredded cheese. Use corn tortillas as needed to make them fit in an even layer. You can overlap them a bit if necessary.
- Bake casserole at 375F – bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly. Optionally, you can broil the casserole 1-2 minutes under high to brown the cheese a bit.
- Let casserole stand 10 minutes – this gives the casserole time to cool and set a bit before slicing into it.
Topping Ideas for Enchilada Casserole
The best part about enchiladas is obviously the toppings! Try the following topping ideas…
- Sliced avocado (or a scoop of premade guacamole)
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Jarred or homemade salsa
- Fresh cilantro
- Extra sour cream
- Lime wedges for squeezing over top
Make Ahead Instructions
This enchilada casserole can be assembled entirely and stored in the fridge for up to one day. Bake time instructions will be exactly the same.
Leftovers of this enchilada casserole also store nicely for up to 6 days. Reheat leftovers in individual servings in the microwave 1-2 minutes.
This is just a pan full of pure flavor. The green chile chicken filling is so creamy and flavorful, the green enchilada sauce adds that signature enchilada flavor, and the toppings just bring everything in for a home run.
No one will ever guess this was the easiest thing ever to pull together! No one will know if you accidentally eat a whole pan solo either.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
A few more skillet dinner favorites to add to your menu!
Skillet Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 oz) sweet corn, drained
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 (4 oz) cans green chiles, drained
- 2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce, divided
- 12-15 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9-inch oven-safe skillet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, corn, cream cheese, sour cream, green chiles, and 1/4 cup green enchilada sauce until evenly combined.
- Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of skillet. Top with 4-5 corn tortillas, 1/3 of chicken mixture, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, and 1/3 of cheese. Repeat layers twice more ending with cheese.
- Bake casserole at 375F 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly. Optionally, broil under high 1-2 minutes to brown cheese.
- Allow casserole to stand 10 minutes before serving with fresh cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, and sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply