Red Thai sweet potato chickpea curry in a creamy spicy coconut sauce is loaded with hearty vegetables and an incredible vegetarian take on curry!
Let’s talk about the best vegetarian curry you will EVER have in your life.
We make a LOT of curries around here and you know that means the latest one is going to be the current obsession.
As per the usual, we’re obsessed with this sweet potato chickpea curry and I’m here to tell that there’s good reason for that.
It. Is. So. Freaking. Good.
The lack of meat here? Not even a thing in this curry. The sweet potatoes and the chickpeas make it SUPER hearty and more than make up for it.
Here’s a quick look at the flavors in this sweet potato chickpea curry >
- Creamy sweet potatoes, tender chickpeas, and wilted spinach
- A rich, spicy coconut sauce with plenty of zip from the red Thai curry paste
- All this curry goodness piled high over the curry essentials: fluffy jasmine rice with cilantro + lime
Cooking the Vegetables:
Start off with sautéing cubed sweet potatoes + yellow onion in a little oil until the onions are just translucent and the sweet potatoes are lightly browned.
Flavor time! Ginger, garlic, red Thai curry paste, and a little turmeric. Toss it around in the vegetables until just fragrant.
Building the Curry
Time to build the sauce base! Small-diced tomatoes and coconut milk make up the sauce portion and you’re going to want to let this simmer 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
A little spinach for green + a can of chickpeas and we’re in the curry business. ♥
I recommend serving this curry piping hot over a tall mound of fluffy jasmine rice. Throw a little minced cilantro and a couple of lime wedges in each bowl for an extra boost of flavor.
The flavors that we’re able to develop in this curry in only ONE hour is a little unreal.
It’s rich, it’s creamy, it’s spicy, all the GOOD things you love about curry.
Minus the meat, plus extra veggies. We’re calling that a dinner win here, y’all.
More curry dinners you should definitely try next!
Red Thai Coconut Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes (about 2 cups sweet potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Hot jasmine rice and additional cilantro/lime wedges for serving
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmery. Add onions and sweet potatoes to pan and let cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables begin to get tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add ginger, garlic, curry paste, and turmeric. Let cook 2-3 minutes until fragrant and vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring curry to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Stir spinach, cilantro and lime juice into curry until spinach is wilted. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve curry warm over jasmine rice with additional cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!