Roasted entirely on one sheet pan with tender asparagus and baby potatoes, this lemon garlic butter salmon is quick to put on the table and only needs a handful of basic ingredients!
Sheet pan dinners like this gem make weeknight dinners actually a pleasure to pull off!
I won’t lie, the secret is mostly in the lemon garlic butter. And the fact that you’re not spending hours afterwards doing dishes.
Any way you put it, you’ve definitely just found your new weeknight staple!
We’re not playing around with how easy this dinner is. I’m talking 7 ingredients I bet you have on hand now, 20 minutes to prep, and then letting the oven take care of business.
Plus the lemon and asparagus give this whole dish such a light and healthy spring feel. You can’t not love it.
This Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon features…
- Buttery, tender salmon fillets baked in a lemon garlic butter sauce
- Tender asparagus spears and fluffy baby potatoes
- Roasts up on one sheet pan, only 7 ingredients needed, and ready in under an hour
Making the Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley
- Salmon fillets
- Baby potatoes
How to Prepare Salmon
You will need around 1 lb of salmon for this recipe. We typically buy a whole side of salmon and then cut it into 4-5 oz fillets.
We recommend removing skin from salmon before proceeding with cooking. To make this easier, place salmon fillets in freezer 20 minutes then use a sharp knife to gently cut skin off of meat.
Tips for Perfect Sheet Pan Salmon, Asparagus, and Potatoes
- Pre-roast potatoes – we’re going to pre-roast the potatoes at 400F 25-30 minutes until almost tender when pierced with a fork. Why the separate roasting time? The potatoes take longer to cook than the asparagus and salmon so we want to get a head start on getting them cooked.
- Take note of potato size – your baby potatoes may vary in size which means the cook time may also vary. Keep an eye on the potatoes and remove them from the oven when they’re almost completely tender.
- Roast lemon slices – this adds a little extra lemon flavor!
- Use fresh lemon juice + zest in sauce – the double whammy of fresh lemon really packs a lovely punch of lemon flavor in the butter sauce.
- Add asparagus and salmon to sheet pan – once the potatoes are pre-roasted, arrange asparagus and salmon on sheet pan and continue roasting 10 minutes or so until done.
- Don’t overcook salmon – salmon very easily dries out, so keep a close watch on the salmon and feel free to remove it from sheet pan if it’s cooking quicker than the potatoes and asparagus.
Try these ideas for a little twist on this easily adaptable recipe!
- Try lime instead of lemon – fresh lime would be a great substitute for the lemon in the butter sauce.
- Use diced russets – if you can’t find baby potatoes or don’t have them on hand, dice a few russets into large 2-in cubes and roast per recipe instructions.
- Skip the asparagus – sliced zucchini, mushrooms, sweet peppers, or broccoli would all work in place of the asparagus.
- Try different herbs – fresh dill, basil, or chives would be a great replacement for the parsley.
How to Store Salmon
This salmon, asparagus, and potato dish stores very well in the refrigerator up to 4 days. It also reheats beautifully which makes this recipe a gem for meal prepping!
To reheat leftovers, microwave salmon, asparagus, and potatoes 1-2 minutes until heated through.
This entire sheet pan is just a GEM, y’all! The salmon is so buttery and silky, the potatoes and asparagus are perfectly soft and tender, and all together it’s just incredible.
No one will ever guess you threw this together in under an hour! It’ll be our little secret.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salmon made step-by-step on Google web stories!
A few more sheet pan dinners I think you’ll love!
Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon with Asparagus and Baby Potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lbs baby potatoes, halved
- 3-4 lemon slices for roasting
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into half lengthwise
- 1 lb salmon fillets (about 4 pieces)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a large sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk melted butter, garlic, lemon zest, juice, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons butter mixture and spread into an even layer on 1/3 of sheet pan. Arrange lemon slices around potatoes. Set remaining butter mixture aside.
- Roast potatoes at 400F 25 minutes until almost tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and set aside for a moment. Toss asparagus with 2 tablespoons butter mixture in a large bowl and arrange next to potatoes on sheet pan.
- Arrange salmon fillets in a single layer on sheet pan and brush with remaining butter mixture. Season asparagus and salmon with salt and pepper.
- Return pan to oven and continue roasting an additional 10-15 minutes until salmon is cooked through and potatoes and asparagus are tender. Serve salmon warm and enjoy!