This Vietnamese noodle salad features tender vermicelli noodles with crisp veggies and smoky grilled chicken tossed in a tangy rice vinegar dressing.
Bringing you one of my all-time favorite summer salads today! Featuring tons of noodles, veggie goodness, and protein to boot.
This Vietnamese-style noodle salad is just about as cool and refreshing as your salad game is gonna get this summer.
Bonus: it’s one of those salads that keeps beautifully in the fridge for bomb lunches all week. Trust me, you will want it on hand for that.
This salad is jam-packed with bold flavors and lots of crisp veggies, but it’s also hearty enough to stand alone as a main dish.
The fact that it’s a cold salad is also more than welcome in these hot days of summer!
This Vietnamese Noodle Salad features…
- Tender vermicelli rice noodles.
- Crisp carrot, cucumber, and bean sprouts.
- Flavorful fresh mint, cilantro, and green onions.
- Smoky grilled chicken strips.
Making the Vietnamese Noodle Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Vermicelli rice noodles
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Green onions
- Bean sprouts
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sweet chili sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Roasted peanuts
Choosing Your Noodles
For an authentic Vietnamese noodle salad, we recommend using vermicelli rice noodles. You can typically find these in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores.
If you don’t have vermicelli noodles on hand, regular angel hair or spaghetti noodles will work totally fine!
Tips for Perfect Vietnamese Noodle Salad
- Make dressing in food processor or blender – this helps break down the fresh ginger and garlic in the dressing.
- Rinse rice noodles – cook the rice noodles according to package instructions, then rinse well in cold water until noodles are completely cooled.
- Grill chicken – grilling the chicken adds a lovely smoky flavor to this salad. If you don’t have a grill, you can easily cook the chicken on the stovetop instead!
- Cut carrot and cucumber into matchsticks – this makes the salad easier to eat and adds a perfect crunch.
- Allow salad to sit in dressing – this is one of those salads that tastes better the longer it soaks up all that incredible dressing.
Make Ahead Instructions
This salad can be dressed and stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Again, it actually tastes better the day after its made once it’s gotten a chance to marinate in the dressing.
If you plan to serve this salad later, hold off on adding the chopped peanuts until just before serving so they retain their crunchy texture.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this recipe!
- Make it vegetarian – you can easily leave out the meat or substitute seared tofu for a vegetarian-friendly salad.
- Swap out veggies – try using sweet pepper, red onion, shredded cabbage, or peas in addition or in place of the suggested vegetables.
- Try a different pasta – glass noodles, regular wheat pasta, or pad thai noodles would all work great in this salad.
This noodle salad is just about the most fresh-tasting and filling summer salad you’ll ever make! The textures from the chicken and crisp veggies are unbelievable, the fresh herbs make it so flavorful, and that perfectly tangy rice wine vinegar dressing just takes everything over the top.
Guarantee you will want to dive face-first into this salad perfection!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More summer salads to swoon over!
Vietnamese Noodle Salad with Grilled Chicken
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 8 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 medium cucumber, julienned
- 1-1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rub chicken all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until chicken registers 165F.
- Remove chicken from grill and immediately brush all over with hoisin sauce. Allow chicken to cool slightly, then thinly slice into strips and set aside.
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions, then rinse well with cold water until noodles are completely cooled.
- In a large bowl, combine noodles, carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts, green onions, mint, cilantro, peanuts, and chicken.
- Drizzle dressing over top of salad and toss to evenly coat. Chill salad until ready to serve. Enjoy!