This teriyaki chicken fried rice features saucy homemade teriyaki chicken folded into a flavorful veggie-loaded fried rice. Ready in under an hour and the perfect use for leftover rice!
Nothing beats a good fried rice! Especially if it’s combining two takeout winners of fried rice and teriyaki chicken.
Obviously the two go amazing alongside each other in a bursting-at-the-seams takeout box, right? So why not combine them all in one pan and call it a day.
You may have just found your permanent dinner savior.
Best part? It’s total lazy night food that you can make using leftover rice and whatever vegetables you have handy. Yet it tastes like an absolute dinner king.
Obviously, the only right way to eat this fried rice is straight from the pan with a fork.
This Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice features…
- Juicy chicken pieces smothered in a flavorful homemade teriyaki sauce.
- A flavorful classic fried rice base.
- Only minutes to make and the best way to use up leftover rice.
Making the Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Cooked rice
- Unsalted butter
- Green onions
- Cooked rice
- Sesame seeds
Choosing Your Rice
This recipe works great with a variety of rice! We typically use short-grain white rice or jasmine, but this recipe can be made with many kinds.
For a healthier twist, try brown rice, cauliflower rice, or even quinoa. You will need about 4 cups of cooked chilled rice.
Tips for Perfect Fried Rice
- Use cold rice – fried rice is best made with rice that’s been dried out a bit in the fridge. Leftover rice is perfect here!
- Make homemade teriyaki chicken – this part is SO easy and really elevates the fried rice. Fry the chicken, add the sauce, cook until thickened, and you’ve got teriyaki chicken made in minutes!
- Use a wok – woks are ideal for cooking fried rice because of the tall sloping walls that create two heating zones, enabling you to cook the vegetables + rice fast, evenly, and efficiently. However, if you don’t own a wok, a large stainless steel skillet will also work!
- Cook vegetables separate from rice – the carrot + onion will cook at a different rate from the rice, so it’s important to cook these separately.
This fried rice is a blank canvas for many variations! Try these ideas out.
- Make it spicy – Add a minced jalapeno or a few shakes of sriracha hot sauce for a fried rice with some kick.
- Skip the meat – the teriyaki chicken can easily be omitted from this recipe.
- Add extra veggies – try diced mushrooms, cabbage, sweet pepper, or a spoonful of kimchi. This recipe is very forgiving for mixing and matching different veggies!
Storing and Reheating Fried Rice
This fried rice makes for AMAZING leftovers! We think it tastes even a little bit better the next day after it’s soaked up all the flavors a bit.
Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 6 days and reheat in the microwave 2-3 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals.
The amount of flavors we’re able to pack into this humble little skillet dinner is nothing short of insane! The chicken is so flavorful and saucy and pairing it with the aromatic veggie-packed fried rice is a serious flavor bomb.
Sorry, but your favorite takeout place has nothing on this goodness!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More dishes to use up leftover rice!
Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, white parts finely minced and green parts cut into 1-in pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- Sesame seeds for topping
- In a small bowl, whisk water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, honey, and cornstarch-water mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add chicken in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Fry chicken in oil, turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through and crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain oil from pan. Add sauce to pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until sauce is thickened, then add chicken and toss until evenly coated. Scrape chicken into a bowl and keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add butter and swirl to coat bottom. Add beaten eggs to skillet and cook until cooked through, folding occasionally. Transfer eggs to a cutting board and finely chop.
- Heat same skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add carrots and saute until tender. Add green parts of onion and cook until just slightly wilted. Add white parts and frozen peas and cook a few extra minutes until peas are heated through.
- Add rice to skillet and saute until rice is heated through. Add teriyaki chicken and eggs and stir well until combined. Serve fried rice warm with sesame seeds on top for garnish. Enjoy!