This chicken sweet potato soup features tender sweet potatoes and juicy chicken in a super creamy soup base. – easy to throw together on a weeknight and incredible with fresh bread for dipping!
Introducing the one soup you won’t be able to stop eating this soup season!
We’ve got juicy chicken, a whole mess of tender sweet potatoes, and even a little green action in the CREAMIEST soup base.
Easy enough for a weeknight, cool enough for any occasion. It’s just a jack of all trades soup.
Just be warned you’re going to need to buy many loaves of bread to keep up with your soup consumption.
This Chicken Sweet Potato Soup features…
- Juicy chicken cubes and tender sweet potatoes.
- An incredibly creamy soup base.
- Comes together in one pot with simple ingredients in less than an hour!
Making the Chicken Sweet Potato Soup
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy whipping cream
- Chicken broth
- Sweet potatoes
Choosing Your Chicken
We prefer using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this soup, but you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs with zero issues!
If you have leftover cooked chicken on hand you can absolutely use it in this soup as well. Just skip cooking the chicken with the onion and add it to the soup with the other ingredients.
Tips for Perfect Soup
- Cut sweet potatoes into uniform sizes – we found that 1/2-in cubes is the perfect size for the sweet potatoes. Make sure you cut them in uniform sizes so they cook at the same rate.
- Start with a roux base – a roux means equal parts fat and flour cooked together before adding the soup liquids.
- Do not allow soup to boil – because of the dairy in the soup, excessive boiling will lead to the soup base separating. For best results, keep soup at a low simmer.
- Add spinach at end of cooking – the spinach will cook very quickly so don’t add to soup until the very end of cooking.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this recipe!
- Skip the meat – add another vegetable in its place or skip it entirely!
- Swap out the sweet potatoes – regular potatoes or even butternut squash would work great in place of the sweet potatoes.
- Add more vegetables – zucchini, sweet corn, kale, peas, or carrots would be awesome extra veggie additions!
Storing and Freezing Instructions
This soup may be stored in the refrigerator up to 6 days. Reheat soup either in microwave or on the stovetop.
For freezing, allow soup to cool completely then place in freezer-safe containers. Freeze soup up to 2 months.
For thawing, allow soup to thaw completely in fridge, then reheat individual servings.
This soup is just one for the cozy food record book, y’all. So so perfectly creamy and the tender sweet potatoes and chicken add the most amazing texture plus make it super filling too.
Pair this soup with LOTS of your favorite bread on the side and you’re all set!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Try these other keeper soup recipes next!
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- Chipotle Butternut Squash Beef Stew
- Broccoli Cheddar Spaghetti Squash Soup
Creamy Chicken Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% or skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups packed baby spinach or chopped kale
- Crusty bread for serving, optional
- Heat a Dutch oven or medium pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add chicken and onion and saute several minutes until chicken is cooked through and onions are tender. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant. Whisk in flour and let cook 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Slowly begin adding milk, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Add heavy cream, chicken broth, sweet potatoes, thyme, and chicken/onion mixture. Bring soup to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer 8-10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add spinach or kale to soup and stir well until wilted. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm with crusty bread. Enjoy!