Perfectly crispy smashed sweet potatoes are drizzled with a flavorful hot honey butter sauce and the easiest weeknight side dish that goes with anything!
Easiest-ever side dish coming in hot today! The smashed sweet potatoes we literally can’t stop eating these days.
We’re talking 6 basic ingredients, one sheet pan, and 40 minutes of your evening to bang out these little flavor bombs. We’re not messing around with the amount of honey butter either.
Extra hot honey butter sauce drizzled over your personal sweet potatoes is absolutely essential by the way.
These sweet potatoes call for only six basic ingredients, but the amount of flavor we’re packing into them is absolutely unreal. Easy enough for a crowd, yet also scarily good enough to eat half the sheet pan yourself.
These Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes feature…
- A crispy exterior thanks to a quick broil.
- Sweet and spicy hot honey butter made with only three basic ingredients.
- Minutes to prep and goes amazing with a variety of dishes.
Making the Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Hot sauce
What to Serve with Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are amazing as a snack or quick appetizer, but they also go well as a side dish with a variety of dishes!
Try pairing them alongside seared salmon, grilled chicken, or alongside a green salad for your next steak night.
Tips for Perfect Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Slice sweet potatoes 1/2-3/4 inch thick – we found that this thickness was perfect for roasting the sweet potatoes prior to smashing them.
- Roast sweet potatoes with half of honey butter – roasting the sweet potatoes with half the honey butter builds flavor and the other half is amazing drizzled on top of sweet potatoes once they’re done.
- Smash sweet potatoes with drinking glass or fork – once the sweet potatoes are tender, remove them from the oven and smash them flat. The flatter you can get them, the crispier they will be!
- Broil sweet potatoes – 3-5 minutes under the broiler will crisp up the sweet potatoes perfectly.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these sweet potatoes!
- Make it mild – feel free to skip the hot sauce if you’d like a mild honey butter sauce.
- Roast with different herbs – try fresh rosemary, parsley, or oregano in place of the thyme.
- Change up the toppings – we love simple toasted almonds, but you can spice it up even more by trying different toasted nuts or a handful of dried cranberries.
Storing and Reheating Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes can be stored in the fridge up to 6 days (we do not recommend freezing)
To reheat sweet potatoes, roast them at 400F 10-15 minutes until heated through and crispy. You can also air fry them at 400F 6-8 minutes.
These typically don’t even make it to the dinner table whenever we make them. They’re just waaay too easy to eat straight off the sheet pan.
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and allll that spicy honey butter goodness just takes them completely over the top.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More sweet potato favorites you might want to try next!
Hot Honey Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-3/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a large sheet pan and arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring butter, honey, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to a low simmer.
- Remove honey butter from heat and spoon half of it over sweet potato slices. Sprinkle sweet potatoes with fresh thyme.
- Bake sweet potatoes at 425F 20-25 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and switch oven to broiler and adjust oven rack to top rack.
- Smash sweet potatoes flat with a glass or fork and broil 3-5 minutes until crispy. Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with remaining honey butter (heat honey butter on stove if it has solidified) Garnish sweet potatoes with chopped nuts and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply