“These soft, cheesy bread loaves are so good, you’ll never believe that they’re low-fat!” (Of course, since they’re low-fat you can spread on the butter!) ~Sarah
• 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1/2 cup warm water (120 F degrees)
• 2 cups warm milk (120 F degrees)
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
• 6 to 6-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Using an electric beater on medium speed, beat in milk, eggs, butter, honey, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Once dough has risen, punch dough down and transfer to a floured surface. Gently knead shredded cheese in dough. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a round loaf. Place loafs two parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Allow to rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake loaves in preheated oven 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire cooling racks before slicing. Serve.
Yield: 2 loaves (7 slices each)
Store bread in seal-able plastic bags at room temperature up to 3 days.