Made from frozen bananas and lots of creamy peanut butter, these peanut butter banana shakes are lighter on the calories, yet a decadent frozen treat!
Peanut butter and banana lovers, you’ve met your newest frozen addiction!
Introducing the creamiest, dreamiest shakes you will ever have the pleasure of accidentally consuming straight from the blender.
Hey, I don’t make the rules. These shakes are just way too good.
We’re relying on frozen banana to give us that signature “ice cream” texture in these shakes and let me tell you, it works some absolute MAGIC!
And hey, you’ve just found the most perfect use for those inevitable ripe frozen bananas you’ve got hanging out in the freezer.
These Peanut Butter Banana Shakes feature…
- The perfect combination of creamy peanut butter and banana
- An incredibly smooth and creamy texture
- Less calories than traditional ice cream shakes
- Minutes to make entirely in your blender
Making the Shakes
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Peanut butter
- Greek yogurt
- 2% or skim milk
- Vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and chocolate syrup
Blender vs. Food Processor
Both of these machines will work great for blending these shakes! We tend to prefer the blender since you can blend everything in one batch, whereas with the food processor you may need to blend in multiple batches to avoid overflow.
Tips for Perfect Shakes
- Use frozen banana – frozen banana is key for getting that thick, frozen shake consistency. Cut your banana into 1-inch cubes for easier blending.
- Make it extra creamy with Greek yogurt – this adds protein and makes your shakes super creamy.
- Add more sweetener to taste – if you like your shakes a little sweeter, feel free to add more honey, tasting as you go.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these shakes.
- Add chocolate – add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to blender with the other ingredients for little bits of chocolate in your shake.
- Make it fruity – add a handful of fresh raspberries or strawberries for a peanut butter/jelly style shake.
- Add caramel – add a drizzle of caramel to your shake and swirl to evenly distribute.
If you would like to make these shakes ahead of time for easy serving, follow the instructions below.
- Follow step 1 for blending shakes and transfer mixture to a freezer-safe container. Freeze shakes up to 1 month.
- When ready to serve, remove shakes from freezer and allow to soften on counter about 20 minutes.
- Break shakes into chunks and place in blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until smooth, adding a few splashes of extra milk as needed to thin the texture.
These seriously taste like decadent ice cream shakes with their thick and creamy texture! The classic pairing of banana + peanut butter just ticks all the boxes here.
You need to be running, not walking to the blender ASAP to get these killer shakes in your life!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More frozen favorites to try next!
Peanut Butter Banana Shakes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 4 medium ripe bananas, cut into 1-in pieces and frozen
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and chocolate syrup for serving (optional)
- Place frozen banana chunks, peanut butter, yogurt, milk, honey, and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary
- Pour shake into glasses and top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup if desired. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe tips and photos on 6/8/23.