This pretty fall upside-down cake is super-moist inside and has a lovely sticky caramel-apple topping on the outside—It’s so easy and makes an impressive fall-time dessert with ice cream!
Hey, guys. Happy Monday!
I hope you guys are hungry this fine morning. This is the start to an AWESOME week.
Y’all. It is APPLE season now, did you know that?! I’m a little psyched. So psyched in fact that I’m doing something a little fun this week. This is the first apple recipe of many—this is Apple Week on WAHO!
For the next 7 days I’ll be sharing new apple recipes every day. I even recruited a few of my blogging friends to guest post THEIR best apple recipes on a few days.
This is gonna be an epic week. I hope you guys brought your appetite. 🙂
I wanted to start Apple Week off with a bang, so today I’m sharing my favorite fall dessert in the universe. Simple, classic apple upside-down cake.
It’s true what they say ‘ya know: The simplest food always turns out the tastiest.
So it’s kinda ridiculous how much I love caramel apples. Seriously, I know they are a total kid-like treat, but I cannot help my obsession with them.
Naturally, this cake? Love at first bite.
Or even love at first smell. Seriously, the smell of this cake baking is intoxicating. Smells like a caramel apple factory.
Which, by the way is my total dream job.
Upside-down cakes may seem fussy and time consuming, but you wouldn’t believe how quickly this cake comes together. And P.S.—it looks totally gorgeous and your friends will think you slaved over it. 😀
The homemade caramel sauce/apple topping literally takes less than 5 minutes to make, and then the cake batter itself whips up in like 2 minutes.
Bake. Wait. Cool. Invert.
Attack that baby with ice cream while it’s still warm and gooey.
Die and go to caramel-apple heaven.
Upside-down cakes are pretty much my idea of a perfect heaven. Sticky, caramel-y, gooey…gahh! YES.
They’re also TOTALLY messy.—Messy desserts taste better. FACT.
Just look at that caramel-y apple goodness. If I had the choice, I would eat this cake every single day for the rest of my life.
Prepare to fall completely in love with this cake. I’ve already had multiple requests/orders to make it again.
For the simple reason that I pretty much ate the majority of this cake all by myself.
It’s simple, nostalgic desserts like this that remind me why I love fall so much.
Now, who wants to come over for leftovers? 😀
Sticky Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- CARAMEL APPLE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large baking apples peeled, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease a 9-in cake pan. Set aside.
- Make the topping: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly until caramel is slightly thickened. Pour caramel into the bottom of prepared pan and top with sliced apples.
- Prepare the cake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk butter, sugar, eggs, and milk until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Combine dry ingredients with liquid, gently stirring until smooth. Evenly spread batter over apples.
- Bake cake at 325F 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick tests done. Cool cake in pan on a wire cooling rack 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum
Be sure to come back tomorrow and the rest of the week for NEW apples recipes every day!