Made completely in the crockpot and packed with a triple whammy of cheese, these three cheese mashed potatoes are perfectly creamy and the easiest side dish!
If you’re in the market for a mashed potatoes recipe that will literally change your life you’re gonna want to listen in on this one today!
We’ve got three cheeses plus the slow cooker taking care of business today and holy moly, do they do their job well.
Mashed potatoes made in the slow cooker is kinda a life hack when it comes to hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because it frees up stovetop space and you can literally set it and forget about it for hours!
They cook up seriously the MOST creamy and the perfect amount of richness from the three cheeses.
These Mashed Potatoes feature…
- Buttery and creamy Yukon gold potatoes
- Three kinds of cheeses including cream cheese, Parmesan, and cheddar
- Made entirely in the slow cooker with minimal ingredients
Making the Mashed Potatoes
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Unsalted butter
- 2% or skim milk
Choosing Your Potatoes
We recommend using a mild, creamy potato for these mashed potatoes such as Yukon golds, baby golds, or yellow potatoes.
We like to peel the potatoes so they mash up super creamy, but you can also leave the skins on for some added texture and nutrients.
Tips for Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Cube potatoes – we recommend uniform 1-inch cubes for even cooking.
- Cook potatoes in chicken broth – this adds a little extra flavor and helps the potatoes cook up fluffy.
- Cook garlic whole – no need to peel or mince the garlic yet – we like to cook it whole with the potatoes and then mash it into a paste later.
- Let potatoes cook until tender – a fork should be able to easily slide in and out of a potato cube when they’re done.
- Drain chicken broth from potatoes before mashing – carefully drain the chicken broth, then mash the potatoes.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these potatoes.
- Use different cheeses – try shredded gouda, asiago, mozzarella, or Monterey jack.
- Omit the garlic – simply skip the garlic if you’re not a fan.
- Add fresh herbs – try chives, rosemary, parsley, or thyme.
This recipe can easily be converted to a stovetop version with a few minor adjustments.
- Omit the chicken broth, place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water. Simmer potatoes 10-15 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork, drain potatoes, and mash.
- Mince the garlic and saute in butter 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Fold garlic butter and remaining ingredients into mashed potatoes until potatoes are creamy.
The creaminess from the buttery Yukon golds paired with the rich triple whammy of cheeses is just the BEST combo in these luxurious mashed potatoes! They compliment pretty much any meal and thensome.
No way around it, these mashed potatoes are going to be an absolute hit wherever you take ’em.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More killer potato side dishes!
Slow Cooker Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 4 lbs Yukon golds, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium whole cloves garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a 4-qt slow cooker and pour chicken broth over top. Arrange garlic cloves on top.
- Place lid on top and cook potatoes on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-7 hours until potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain broth from slow cooker and remove garlic cloves. Peel garlic and finely mash garlic with a fork.
- Mash potatoes well with a potato masher and fold in mashed garlic, cream cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, butter, and just enough milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Fold potatoes well until cheese is melted and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep potatoes on the 'warm' setting up to 3 hours in slow cooker until ready to serve. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 11/8/23.