Get your chicken pot pie fix without all the work! These chicken pot pie potato skins are so easy to make and totally the ultimate comfort food appetizer!
You guys wanna hear my new life motto? It goes something like, “when in doubt…stuff it in a potato skin.”
Anything and everything but I will admit, I’m totally partial to chicken pot pie potato skins.
Just in case you didn’t hear me, I’ll repeat: Chicken pot pie. In a POTATO skin. The comfort food mashup of perfection you and I have been dreaming of our entire lives.
Clearly I lost my mind the other day while brainstorming New Years Eve appetizers and this is the result.
The result that ends with chicken pot pie abandoning it’s pie crust ship and seeking refuge in a potato skin.
Behold. The new winning way to get your chicken pot pie fix in New Years Eve and/or game-day APPETIZER form without…
A: Fooling around with a pie crust.
B: Spending forever making the chicken pot pie.
C: Waiting around forever for said chicken pot pie to bake.
We’re totally doing the cheater’s version of chicken pot pie today. And I’m kinda digging it. 😉
The only kind of prep work you’re in for with these potato skins is totally the easy of the PEASY, peeps. Anyone can do it. —>
- Bake the potatoes, then cool ’em and core out the inside.
- Make the chicken pot pie filling. One pan + 10 minutes = yea!!
- Fill those potato skins to the brim with pot pie goodness.
- Top ‘er with cheese because I said so.
- Back to the oven for a bit.
- Then straight to your belly with all of them.
Are you even ready for the dynamite-ness that is these potato skins? My mind is feeling ready to explode just talking about them. Also, I have more in the oven as I speak (type?) and I’m counting down the nanoseconds til comfort food-chow time.
Random sidenote regarding comfort food: This has been the weirdest December ever, peeps. Warm outside some days, don’t-even-want-to-leave-the-house kinda freezing-cold other days, and snow and ice like the other day.
I don’t even recognize where I live anymore, guys.
So I eat all the comfort food and pretend that it’s actually a normal winter.
And I’m going to lay down the command that you shall do the same with these potato skins. Suffice to say, you’re going to fall in love with a potato.
And that’s not weird at all. 😉
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Potato Skins
- 8 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prick potatoes several times with a fork. Bake potatoes at 400F 45-60 minutes or until very tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, thinly slice the top off and scoop out potato, being careful not to break the bottom skin. Discard potato or save for another use. Place potato skins in a baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmery. Add onion, carrots, chicken, and garlic to pan and saute several minutes until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to medium and stir in flour. Slowly add milk and cream, stirring until smooth. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in peas, salt and pepper to taste, and parsley. Fill potato skins with chicken pot pie filling. Top each potato with shredded cheese.
- Bake potatoes at 400F 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately while hot.
Need some more apps up your sleeve? Yes, you totally do. 😉
See ALL apps here. ♥