Cheeseburger soup made easy in the crockpot! Super-creamy and ultimately comforting, the whole family will adore this lighter twist on classic cheeseburger soup.
We’re upping our comfort food game today, friends. To above and beyond your expectations of all things cozy and cheesy.
Day THREE of Pantry Staples. Ultra-creamy, extra-cozy, easy-peasy, and completely HANDS-OFF crockpot soup, please and thanks a million. ♥
Oh man, guys, is soup season on or WHAT? I feel like we’re all at that point in winter right now where all our thoughts about food revolve around soup. All the piping-hot, cozy, cheesy, and soupy things to keep us from freezing to death.
Ugh, it’s still so cold here. I just want to burrow in this bowl of soup and never come out.
I feel as though I should tell you my family’s history with this soup before we go any further. Cheeseburger soup goes waaaaaay back in my family, guys. Like before I was even born, it was a tradition in my family for my mom to make a ginormous pot of her famous cheeseburger soup practically weekly in the winter.
It was one of the extremely few dinners she could count on every single one of her agonizingly picky 9 kids to eat. Poor Mom for real, because we really were the most annoyingly picky kids ever. Me included.
Anyway, this soup was totally my favorite dinner ever. Guys, I wanted it 24/7 when I was a kid and would you even believe that a few weeks ago was the FIRST time I’ve had it since I was like 10??
I’ll admit that today’s soup isn’t EXACTLY like my mom’s old recipe.—Just a few minor changes were made. I replaced a few of the ingredients for healthier substitutes and I also decided that the whole shebang should be thrown in the crockpot instead of made on the stove, because I’m totally lazy and hands-off dinners are quite simply, the best thing ever.
The taste and the texture though? Oh man, it takes me straight back to those days of playing outside in the snow for hours and then coming inside and heading straight to the kitchen to cozy up with a huge bowl of cheeseburger soup. Then fighting over second servings with the big brothers, of course. 😉
This soup is for REAL so perfectly creamy and cheesy, and yet at the same time, there’s no cream of anything or super-caloric stuff in it. Just humble and simple soup ingredients that transform themselves into THIS. My now-and-forever-favorite childhood soup WHICH, by the way, after a slight makeover, rounds up to only 293 calories per XXL bowlful.
I have a feeling many lives are now complete. Just a guess. 😉
Sooo…about that soup swan-dive. We should do it now.
Lighter Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots about 2 medium carrots
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place shredded potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic in a 4-qt slow cooker. Pour chicken broth over top. Cook on high heat 3-4 hours OR on low 5-6 hours until vegetables are tender and softened.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef until no longer pink. Stir into crockpot mixture and set aside.
- Wipe same skillet clean and melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, then slowly whisk in milk until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add creamy sauce mixture to crockpot and stir to combine. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Let soup cook on high heat in crockpot an additional 30-60 minutes until heated through and soup is thick and creamy. Enjoy soup hot!
Try these other cozy crockpot favs next!