These layered caprese stacks feature fresh heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, and plenty of mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.—Ready in 15 minutes with only FIVE ingredients!
My garden is sending me a message, guys. And it goes something along the lines of…I’m-in-mass-production-mode-and-you-need-to-eat-all-of-the-garden-things-now.
Or something to that effect. All I know is that kitchen counter is loaded with copious amounts of heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans. And yet all the plants outside STILL hang heavy with all this produce.
Is this not even the best part of the entire summer foodwise, you guys? All disagreers are more than welcome to eat a peach and stay silent.
Or…we could talk about these eggplant caprese stacks which conveniently happen to be our main squeeze for today and for the rest of summer.
Here’s how it goes down, y’all. —> —>
- Eggplant takes the stage. It’s our big star and the TOP dog.
- Heirloom tomatoes show up to the party. Since you know, I have 2 million of them currently on my kitchen counter.
- Mozzarella cheese comes outta NOWHERE. Seriously, you never saw that coming.
All that perfection up there gets layered MULTIPLE times. Three layers of stack-happy caprese perfection.
A quickie 2-minute broil and a heavy handful of fresh basil later…
I mean, it’s the little things in life that make summer awesome, but cheese-smothered garden veggie stacks are definitely NOT one of the little things.
They are rather a big freaking deal and rather ridiculously amazing.
Essentially, this is your typical summer veggie health food. That is, if you just try to ignore the fact that cheese is hanging out in every single corner.
Which I do totally ignore with my brain but definitely not with the tastebuds. Cheese, puh-leeeeeze.
Speaking of which. You + these caprese stacks. Go. NOW!
Heirloom Tomato Eggplant Caprese Stacks
- 1 large eggplant peeled and cut into 1-in thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 8 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Rub eggplant rounds with olive olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place rounds on a greased baking sheet. Roast eggplant at 400F 8-10 minutes until just slightly softened.
- Assemble the caprese stacks by topping an eggplant round with a tomato slice and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers a total of three times to form a three-layer stack. Repeat step 2 with remaining eggplant rounds, tomato, and cheese.
- Broil eggplant stacks on high heat 3-4 minutes until cheese is golden-brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle stacks with fresh basil. Enjoy immediately!