Everything you love about caramel apples in healthy coconut oil scone form! These flaky scones are quickly going to become a keeper fall weekend breakfast.
If this isn’t Friday breakfast food brought to a WHOLE ‘nother level of insanity, I don’t even know what is, guys…
Repeat after me. The return of coconut oil scones. With numerous dark horses called caramel, apples, and pecans hopping on board this fall train of scones.
On that same topic…the fall train. It’s taking off rather fast, you guys, and I’ll warn you right here and now that if you’re not a fan of cozy food, and oodles of apples and pumpkin, you’d better back away from the scones reaaaaaaaaal slowly.
If we were actually face to face, I’d probably tell you to do that anyway. These coconut oil scones mean serious business.
Let me take you through all the components. As always, we’re gonna start with my basic scone base that is the foundation for ALL the scone magic that goes down around here. It’s literally perfect. Tender, flaky, and seriously SO easy to throw together. If you’ve never made scones before, this is the recipe to start with!
A little bit of a switch-up today though, because butter is taking a backseat to make way for coconut oil. It makes these scones even MORE flaky if that’s even possible.
Next up we have apples pushing and shoving their way into our scone dough. I’m not one to stand in the way of such influence. ??
After our scones are baked up, this is where the crazy starts to take over. Homemade caramel sauce could take over the world and I’d totally be on board with it. Or in this instance, I’ll just let it take over my apple scone, please and thanks.
And by take over, I mean cover my scone in every.freaking.inch with all it’s buttery caramel-y goodness.
Yeah, like that. ???
Suffice to say, you need these scones in your weekend. Cancel ALL other weekend plans, because these scones need your full and undivided attention.
Promise me you’ll make these scones. Also, promise me you’ll send me proof in actual honest-to-goodness scones. ??
Caramel Apple Pecan Coconut Oil Scones
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup cold coconut oil cubed into 1/2-in pieces
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples peeled and diced into 1/2-in cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in coconut oil until crumbly. Mix in yogurt, eggs, cream, and vanilla until a shaggy dough forms. Mix in apples and pecans.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead several times until dough comes together. Divide dough in half and pat each half into a 1-in thick round. Cut each round into 8 wedges and place wedges on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake scones at 425F 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the caramel glaze: In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugar, and agave to a low boil, stirring occasionally until golden-brown and caramel is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda and salt.
- Drizzle warm caramel glaze over scones and serve. Enjoy!
Coconut oil scones are LIFE-CHANGING, you guys. Try these cherry chocolate ones next!!