Sweet potato casserole gets an incredible makeover with this SUPER-easy version that features tons of tender caramelized apples piled on top.—Everyone will want seconds of this winner casserole!
Consider the sweet potato portion of your upcoming Thanksgiving binge fest officially trashed up, you guys.
Super quick sidenote: Hoooooooow is today November 1st?? I swear I blinked and October just zoomed by. Granted, I was halfway across the country for most of October and that probably made it go even faster.
I’m actually flying home later this morning and unbelievably psyched to be heading home finally. Thank you to everyone who left me super sweet comments and sent me messages wishing me luck with my bakery internship! It was an amazing experience and I’m sad to be leaving it behind, but at the same time excited to go home! I miss my bed and even school if you can believe that.
Shall we talk sweet ‘taters now, guys? Yeah, even though I’m not even home right now I’m already starting to think about Thanksgiving. That’s the level of crazy my head is full of, you guys.
I might even be planning on making to-do lists on the plane ride this afternoon. What is wrong with me?
But getting back to what you probably came here for…sweet potato casserole!! It’s easily one of the most important side dishes on my family’s Thanksgiving table and I’m totally dying to tell you all about how I trashed up said casserole today.
>> Read: trashed up = made 10x nomm-ier. <<
And all I can say is thank GOODNESS for caramelized apples. In case you haven’t noticed, caramelized apples have kinda been our main squeeze around here this fall. Not mad about that.
Here’s how it goes down. >>> we make our sweet potato casserole base which consists of mashed sweet potatoes + butter + maple syrup + spices + all other things droolworthy. Simple pleasures.
Then came that ever-present game changer. Sweet ‘n’ spiced caramelized apples get thrown on top and just like that marshmallows have been given a very hard shove from now to forever.
Better tell that turkey to watch his back. The best sweet potato casserole is officially coming in HOT. ???
Sweet Potato Casserole with Caramelized Apples
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring sweet potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer potatoes until very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk melted butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Mash sweet potatoes until smooth, then mash in butter mixture. Spread sweet potatoes in a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Make the apples: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, saute apples in butter, sugar, and cinnamon until apples are just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in pecans.
- Spread apple mixture over top of sweet potatoes. Bake sweet potato casserole at 375F 15 minutes until heated through. Enjoy!
You know what you need to try next? Sweet potato casserole in PERSONAL-sized form!!