These tequila sunrise slushies are a frozen twist off of the classic cocktail and they’re SO easy to blend up in 10 minutes with only 4 ingredients!
Let’s talk boozy slushies! Or to be more specific, let’s talk about that time tequila sunrise met slushy and the summer drinks game improved by leaps and bounds.
This is one of those drinks you might pay upwards of $12 for at bar. That’s CRAZY talk considering we’re making an entire blenderful of these slushies at home for only a few bucks!
If you’re a fan of tequila sunrises, you’re gonna want to stick around for this one. I think you’re looking your new favorite drink in the eye.
These slushies are just all around a people pleaser. They’re icy cold, they’re refreshing, they’re PERFECTLY boozy, and c’mon, they’re just eye candy with all those red swirls.
SOMEHOW they taste even better than they look!
These Tequila Sunrise Slushies feature…
- A refreshing orange slushy base made from a concentrate
- Swirls of sweet grenadine syrup
- Only 4 ingredients (not counting ice) and 10 minutes to blend up.
Making the Tequila Sunrise Slushies
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Orange juice concentrate
- Lime juice (lemon juice will also work in a pinch)
- Grenadine (you’ll find this in the mixers section of most liquor stores or in the syrups aisle of a grocery store)
Tips for Perfect Slushies
- Use fruit juice concentrate, not juice – because we’re using so much ice in these slushies, it’s important to use a concentrate instead of juice so you get a good orange flavor.
- Buy a high-quality tequila – we all know bad tequila is…well, just plain bad. Definitely go for a middle-to-top-shelf bottle of tequila if you can for the best flavor results!
- Blend with lots of ice – you will need around 4 cups of ice. Necessary for getting a slushy consistency!
- Use a high-speed blender – your blender needs to be capable of crushing up ice, so make sure you use a powerful high-speed blender if possible!
- Swirl grenadine into individual glasses – this gives you the tequila “sunrise” effect! Swirl a few spoonfuls of grenadine into individual slushies and watch the colors turn red and golden. It will settle a bit on the bottom, but this is ok! Use your straw to evenly stir syrup into slushy.
How to Make Homemade Grenadine
If you can’t find grenadine at the store, no worries! You can make it at home with only 2 ingredients in 10 minutes.
Combine 1/2 cup pomegranate juice and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let cook 5-10 minutes until sugar is dissolved and syrup is simmering.
Allow syrup to cool completely, then store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Try another fruit concentrate. Pineapple, apple-kiwi, or a berry blend would be delicious alternatives.
- Use another alcohol. We’ve tried white rum, vodka, and gin in these slushies before with great results!
- Try a different fruit syrup instead of grenadine. Any fruity cocktail/coffee syrup will work here! Try strawberry, peach, passionfruit, raspberry, etc.
How to Make Slushies Virgin
It’s very easy to make these slushies alcohol-free! Simply substitute any fruit juice in for the tequila.
A few of our juice favorites…
- Additional orange juice (not concentrate)
- Pineapple juice
- White grape juice
- Apple juice
It’s just impossible not to love these boozy slushies. The orange juice concentrate really is key here to getting the classic tequila sunrise flavors into slushy form!
And the little swirls of grenadine? Knocks these straight outta the park in both the looks AND flavor department!
Highly recommend having a blenderful of this slushy on standby for the summer! They were made for poolside sipping and almost every other time in between.
Watch these slushies made step by step on Google web stories!
More easy cocktails you wanna get in on!
Tequila Sunrise Slushies
Tequila Sunrise Slushies
- 1 can (12 oz) frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 2-3 oz grenadine syrup
Tequila Sunrise Slushies
- In a high-speed blender, blend orange juice concentrate, lime juice, tequila, and ice until completely smooth.
- Pour slushy into 4 serving glasses and drizzle a little grenadine syrup over top. (it will settle a bit on bottom – this is okay!) Serve slushies immediately and enjoy!
For a step-by-step guide to making this recipe, check out the video!
This post was updated with new photos + recipe adjustments 5/26/2021
I really like your Tequila Sunrise Slushies drink,I have tried it last weekend with my small family really like it.
Diego Monterey says
This looks so good! I also just turned 21 and I still haven’t tasted that much alcoholic drink. Maybe I’d try this recipe and see how it tastes. Thanks for sharing, Sarah. Cheers!
Thank you for the interesting recipe, Sarah! I will definitely make this cocktail next weekend. Honestly, I still haven’t used my new blender for alcohol cocktails, and it will be a wonderful reason to try it. I am sure the cocktail will be very tasty!
Sherrie Pressley says
Heads up this drink is awesome!!!!! Not going to mention my age ( haha) but been over 21 many many years and hav tried lots of different kinds of alcoholic beverages and this is one of my favorites…… Hint Hint : If u use Patrone Tequila it makes the drink taste even better!!!!!!
Regina Dillard says
Yassssssss it was quick and easy not many ingredients ….pre 50th birthday celebration oh my I feel it….???
Greg Zyn says
Tequila sunrise slushies are really good for your health, and if you drink them regularly, then you’ll have a great time with your friends. These slushies have made life easier for me, and I think that’s great for me.