Made in one pot and in only 30 minutes, this Spanish chicken and rice skillet is jam-packed with juicy chicken legs and tons of spicy fluffy rice.—the secret is in the homemade spice rub!
Mondays were MADE for all that one-pot glory, guys. Nary a salad in sight to help you out with your post-Mother’s day brunch overload.
Mainly cause we’re doing a kick-butt salad on Wednesday and today we’re scheduled to do a kick-butt Spanish chicken and rice skillet. <<< you aren’t gonna hate this agenda.
All the dinner boxes are getting ticked today, y’all. There’s rice, there’s SPICE, there’s chicken, and there’s no dirty dishes in sight because ONE POT!
That’s what we call a very good Monday situation, btw.
Okay, Spanish chicken and rice prep is a GO. P.S. it’s like a 30-minute time commitment. We’ve so got this. >>
- First things first is the spice rub. It’s what adds all that signature Spanish rice flavor to this skillet. Just a simple mixture of cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Totally feel free to adjust the spice amount if you prefer your food a little less spicy. Just taste as you go.
- Rub half of the spice mixture over your chicken legs or drumsticks and then we’re gonna sear those little guys on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and saute up a bunch of onion/garlic goodness. Once everything is translucent, tomato paste goes in the pan, rice follows shortly, a little chicken broth, and bring everything to a simmer. Nestle the chicken back in the pan, reduce the heat and the brunt of your work is DONE! Cover that baby and let it cook itself for about 20-ish minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, the rice is fluffy, and most of the liquid is evaporated, squeeze a little lime juice over the whole thing, a little shower of cilantro, and it is probably skillet-diving time now. ???
This Spanish chicken and rice definitely packs a little punch-ya-in-the-face of spice, but again, TOTALLY feel free to adjust the spiciness to suit your tastes. Less spicy, more spicy, totally up to you!
Most importantly though…THIS IS DINNER TONIGHT!
One-Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb chicken legs or drumsticks (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Divide spice mixture in half and rub half of it all over chicken legs. Set remaining half aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place spice-rubbed chicken legs in pan and sear 2-3 minutes on both sides until golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion and garlic in drippings until translucent and fragrant. Reduce heat to medium and add tomato paste, rice and remaining spice mixture to pan and cook 2-3 minutes. Pour chicken broth into pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and nestle chicken back into pan. Cover pan and let spanish rice simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked and chicken registers 165F. Squeeze fresh lime juice over spanish rice and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!