These overnight refrigerator bread and butter pickles are made ENTIRELY in the fridge overnight and you won’t believe the amazing sweet, tangy flavors that develop. Make a big batch!
This recipe is brought to you courtesy of my mother’s numerous-and-simultaneously-exploding cucumber plants.
Right now it’s literally us vs. cukes in a battle to use them all.
The cucumbers were winning for a bit there but then these refrigerator bread and butter pickles happened and we pulled ahead.
Now it’s just a race to eat all the pickles as fast as humanly possible.
These are just so so GOOD, you guys. Bread and butter pickle lovers listen up, cause you’re gonna want in on this pickle magic.
Okay, so just to preface, I am no canning expert. That’s why I opted to make these refrigerator bread and butter pickles the *ahem* cheater’s way in the refrigerator.
I don’t recommend using this recipe for canning since it’s an entirely different process.
First off, you’re gonna grab a ton of cucumbers and slice ’em up very thin. Thinner slices = crispier pickle.
Same thing with a sweet onion. Then toss the cukes and onion in THREE tablespoons kosher salt and refrigerate them for an hour. (this also makes them super crispy!–don’t skip this step)
Rinse the salt off the cucumbers several times and set them aside. ONE more step to go!
Let’s make the brine! Combine sugar, cider vinegar, and mustard seeds in a small saucepan and let it cook just until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour it all over the cucumbers, toss until they’re all nice and coated and now it’s time to let the fridge take care of business!
I would recommend letting these cucumbers sit at least 12 hours (ideally overnight is the perfect timeframe) so that it gives them enough time to develop that signature sweet ‘n’ tangy bread and butter flavor.
They’re sweet, tangy, crispy, and 100000% the type of pickle you just eat straight outta the jar.
They also last in the fridge for up to a month!!
So uh you know, probably gonna have to purchase another fridge to hold all your refrigerator bread and butter pickles.
Need some grilling inspiration to go with your pickles? Try these out!
Overnight Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- 8-10 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- In a large bowl, toss cucumbers and onion with salt. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Remove cucumbers from refrigerator and rinse with cold water several times. Drain, place in a large seal-able container and set aside.
- Combine sugars, cider vinegar, and mustard seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat pour over cucumbers. Let cool 30 minutes at room temperature then seal and chill in refrigerator overnight, at least 12 hours. Enjoy!