Marinated in a flavorful lemon ginger soy marinade and then grilled to perfection, this lemon ginger soy marinated grilled chicken is SO perfectly juicy it will quickly become a grill favorite!
Do I dare make a claim so bold that this is THE grilled chicken of the summer? I am so serious.
We’re gathering simple ingredients like lemon, fresh ginger, and soy sauce and making the most mind-blowing marinade your grilled chicken game will ever see.
The emphasis is on simple here today. How summer eats should be.
This marinade really is the most simple recipe ever and it doesn’t need any extra frills either. It dresses up a plain old package of chicken thighs or breasts to the nines.
All it takes is one time trying this recipe and I guarantee you’ll be hooked and never grill your chicken any other way again!
This Lemon Ginger Soy Marinated Grilled Chicken features…
- Bold fresh lemon juice
- Flavorful fresh ginger and garlic
- Rich soy sauce
- Fresh herbs
- An hours-long marinade that results in the juiciest, most tender chicken ever
Making the Lemon Ginger Soy Marinated Grilled Chicken
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Lemon juice
- Fresh ginger
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chicken thighs or breasts
Choosing Your Chicken
This recipe works well with a variety of chicken cuts! We have had success with boneless skinless chicken thighs, breasts, drumsticks, wings, and bone-in thighs.
Be aware, cook time may vary depending on the cut of chicken you choose. Cook the chicken until it registers 165F in the thickest part on a kitchen thermometer.
Personal recommendation: our favorite cut of chicken to use for this recipe is boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are fast to cook on the grill and turn out juicy every single time.
Tips for Making the Perfect Marinade
- Use fresh ingredients – it’s essential that you use fresh-squeezed lemon juice, garlic, and ginger for this recipe to achieve the boldest flavor.
- Marinate chicken in a bag – we have found that marinating the chicken in a bag allows the marinade to better evenly coat every inch of the chicken. A bowl will also work, just put something heavy on the chicken to make sure it’s fully submerged in the marinade.
- Marinate chicken at least 2 hours – a good rule of thumb with marinating is 2 hours if you’re in a hurry and up to 12 if you’ve got some extra time.
- Marinate chicken on bottom shelf of fridge – it’s always a good idea to keep raw meats away from fresh produce and on the bottom shelf of your fridge to reduce risk of cross contamination.
- Pat chicken dry before grilling – remove chicken from the marinade and gently blot dry with paper towels to remove extra moisture. This helps the outside of the chicken grill up just a little crispy!
Don’t have a grill? You can still make this recipe! Follow these instructions for cooking the chicken on the stovetop.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet (or brush over a large cast iron grill pan) Once pan is hot, add chicken and sear on both sides until chicken registers 165F.
Note: if you are using a thicker cut of chicken, such as a chicken breast, we recommend searing chicken on both sides, then finish cooking in a 400F oven 5-10 minutes until chicken registers 165F.
If I could give you one tip for this chicken it’s don’t rush the marinating process! The longer you let the chicken soak up all that goodness, the more perfectly juicy and packed full of flavor the end result will be.
Seriously, you can taste the flavorful ginger, rich soy sauce, and bright lemon shine through in every fantastic bite and it is to die for.
Best served with a cold drink and a large ear of sweet corn nearby. Meet your new summer staple!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this chicken made step-by-step on Google web stories!
Try these other grilling recipe favorites next!
- The Best Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- Chipotle Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled Chipotle Steak Tacos
Lemon Ginger Soy Marinated Grilled Chicken
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, ginger, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper until combined.
- Place chicken in a sealable bag or a bowl and pour marinade over top. Seal bag shut and place on a plate or cover bowl. Marinate chicken in fridge at least 2 hours or up to 12.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels, discarding marinade. Grill chicken over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until chicken registers 165F. Serve chicken warm and enjoy!
For a step-by-step guide to making this recipe, check out the video!
This post was updated with new photos 4/27/22.