Sweet grilled pineapple and smoky chipotle pepper take this addicting grilled pineapple salsa to an incredible level of flavors! Serve with your favorite chips, on tacos, or over grilled meat.
Oh heck, yeah we’re starting off the week with a big bowl of salsa. Chips included in this sweet deal.
Literally a sweet deal. We’re grilling up a whole freaking pineapple today and making the most killer salsa out of it.
Y’all, I kid you not. Jason and I made two huge batches of this in the space of only 4 days. I’d love to report we didn’t make multiple meals out of it, but that is regrettably not the case.
This grilled pineapple salsa was also the main app at our 4th of July cookout a few weeks ago. Of course, the fam demolished it.
Sooooo in a nutshell, this salsa is pretty much the most incredible app ever. Not only that, but the EASIEST too! We’re talking 7 ingredients, 20 min prep time kinda easy.
The flavors are pure insanity. The chipotle pepper gives it a smoky heat. The pineapple gives it a smoky sweetness. A roasted red pepper, red onion + fresh tomatoes fill in the rest of the salsa cracks and a little cilantro, cumin + lime juice bring all the flavors in for a home run.
Let’s walk through prep for this grilled pineapple salsa! >>
First things first, let’s tackle that pineapple. Nothing fancy here, we’re just cutting a whole pineapple into planks and throwing it on the grill for a few minutes. Same deal with our red pepper.
While the pineapple cooks, the sugars in the fruit will come out and make the pineapple INCREDIBLY sweet and juicy, while the outside gets a beautiful smoky char on it.
Alternative to grilling: if you don’t have access to a grill, you can broil the pineapple and red pepper instead. Lay the pineapple planks and pepper in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil under high heat 6-inches from the broiler until slightly charred.
From there, it’s salsa business as usual! Skin and de-seed your pepper and finely dice. Finely dice your pineapple and throw it all in a serving bowl with fresh roma tomatoes, red onion, and chipotle pepper.
Season the salsa liberally with plenty of fresh lime juice, minced cilantro, ground cumin, and salt and pepper. Go ahead and do that chip taste test to make sure the flavors are on point. 😁😁
You honestly wouldn’t expect a salsa THIS incredibly easy to pack so much of a flavor punch, but hooooly cow does it ever.
I stand behind the statement that this salsa is 100x better than anything you could ever buy in a grocery store salsa or even in a restaurant. Our chips may never see any other salsa but this gold ever again. 😂😂
BIG batches of this salsa recommended, guys! You’ll thank me later.
More summer apps you need to have on your app agenda!
Chipotle Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 medium fresh pineapple, head and middle core removed and sliced into 1/2-in thick planks
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 medium roma tomato, diced into 1/2-in cubes
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 2-3 medium jarred chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn or tortilla chips for serving
- Using a grill pan or nonstick aluminum paper, grill pineapple planks and whole red pepper over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until pineapple is slightly charred and pepper is blackened and tender.
- Wrap pepper in plastic wrap and let sit 10 minutes to allow skin to soften. Use paper towels to rub skin and seeds off pepper. Dice pepper and grilled pineapple into 1/2-in cubes and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add tomato, red onion, chipotle peppers, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill salsa until ready to serve. Enjoy with tortilla or corn chips!