Covered in a rich layer of homemade chocolate ganache, these buttery almond sugar cookie bars are a stunning addition to any cookie tray and SO easy to make!
Happy December!! Shall we get some sugar cookies in here already??
With a heavy side of chocolate ganache + toasty almonds? Why not, it’s the holidays and it’s been an obnoxiously long year.
Also, because of that above fact ^ let’s keep things EASY and eliminate any rolling/cutting and just throw everything in one pan and call it a day.
Not only easy as heck to make, but an absolutely STUNNING addition to any cookie tray!
Looking straight atcha’ flaky sea salt + toasted almonds. ♥
These Chocolate Ganache Almond Sugar Cookie Bars feature…
- A thick, buttery sugar cookie base with tons of almond flavor
- A luxurious, fudgy chocolate ganache topping
- Flaky sea salt and more toasted almonds sprinkled on top
Making the Almond Sugar Cookie Bars
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Sugar Cookie Bars Dough
We’re making a very basic sugar cookie dough! Softened butter, sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, and salt make up the dough base.
For getting the maximum almond flavor, we’re using both almond extract and chopped toasted almonds in the dough. Make sure you don’t skip toasting the almonds!
Pat the dough into a parchment paper-lined 8×8 square baking pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork and bake at 350F 20-25 minutes until the edges just start to turn golden.
While the bars are cooling, let’s make some ganache! Place high-quality dark or semisweet chopped chocolate in a large bowl and heat heavy cream until just simmering.
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and begin whisking until chocolate is melted and ganache is completely smooth.
Pour the warm chocolate ganache over the cooled bars and use an offset spatula to smooth top.
Top bars with flaky sea salt + toasted almonds and let stand at room temperature 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours before removing from pan and slicing into squares.
Storing and Make-Ahead Options
Store the finished bars at room temperature up to 2 days or up to 6 days in the fridge. I recommend letting them come to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Option 1: make the cookie dough and refrigerate it up to 5 days. Let the dough sit at room temperature 20 minutes, then proceed with the recipe as directed.
Make Ahead Option 2: make the cookie dough and bake as directed. Cool completely then cover well and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw and top with chocolate ganache as recipe directs.
Stack these beautiful layered bars UP on any cookie tray this holiday season and watch them get demolished!
I guarantee everyone will love the delicate almond flavor, the classic sugar cookie base, and the fudgy ganache topping.
It’ll be our little secret they only took 40 minutes and little to no effort to make! Make these your cookie go-to this year, you won’t regret it!
Check out these other Christmas cookie favorites!!
- Iced Gingerbread Oatmeal Cookies
- Anzac Biscuits (Brown Sugar Oatmeal Coconut Cookies)
- Citrus Browned Butter Shortbread Cookies
Chocolate Ganache Almond Sugar Cookie Bars
Almond Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 4 oz high-quality dark or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Flaky sea salt and additional toasted almonds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until completely creamy. Beat in egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and chopped almonds. Fold flour mixture into liquid until a soft dough forms.
- Pat dough into bottom of prepared pan. Prick dough all over with a fork. Bake bars at 350F 20-25 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat cream until it reaches a low simmer. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Whisk ganache until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Immediately pour ganache over cooled sugar cookie bars and smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle top with sea salt and almonds. Let stand at room temperature 1-1/2 to 2 hours until chocolate is set. Slice into squares and serving. Enjoy!