These thick, chewy banana chocolate chip oatmeal breakfast bars are the best way to start the day! Make them way ahead of time or freeze them for an easy grab ‘n’ go breakfast.
If a soft, chewy breakfast bar loaded down with chocolate isn’t the best way to start the day, I have zero idea what is.
Are you team sweet or savory for breakfast? Typically, I lean more towards savory breakfast items like eggs or hash, but these breakfast bars are 180ing that mindset.
Hard not to when you’ve got things like banana, oatmeal + chocolate stepping up for breakfast duty.
PLUS the convenience factor of how these bars can be made ahead of time and that they’re total grab ‘n’ go breakfast material!
All the gooey melted chocolate is also definitely helping the breakfast cause. Very much so.
These Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars feature…
- A thick, soft, and chewy oatmeal breakfast bar base
- Plenty of banana flavor (keeping these bars SUPER soft and lighter on the calories!)
- Gooey, melty semisweet chocolate chips (don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of chocolate here – anything goes!)
Making the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Breakfast Bar Base
Start off by gathering your wet ingredients: ripe mashed bananas, (about 2 medium) light brown sugar, melted coconut oil, Greek yogurt, an egg, and vanilla.
Dry ingredients are going to consist of flour, old-fashioned rolled oats, baking powder, a pinch of cinnamon + salt, and chocolate chips.
I found that a 9×13 pan works best for baking these bars, because it gives them enough room to rise without becoming too cake-like in texture, and instead gives them a soft, chewy texture.
Allow the bars to cool completely before slicing into 12 even bars.
You can keep it simple with just chocolate chips, but here are more of our favorite add-ins if you’re looking for more fun flavors!
- Dried cranberries, raisins, or other dried fruit.
- Different types of chocolate: milk, dark, or white. You can also use bar chocolate cut up into chunks!
- A few spoonfuls creamy peanut butter
- Flaked sweetened coconut
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, or walnuts work great (tip: toast the nuts 3-4 minutes on the stove before adding to batter)
Storing and Freezing Bars
Storing on Counter: once bars are cooled completely, wrap or seal well and store on counter up to 6 days (if they last that long!)
For reheating from counter top: microwave bars 30-60 seconds on high.
Freezing: cool the bars completely, slice into bars, then seal well and freeze up to 2 months.
For reheating from frozen, heat bars in microwave 1-2 minutes on high.
These bars are SERIOUSLY the softest and chewiest! They’re slightly reminiscent of banana bread, only in chewy breakfast bar form.
I definitely recommend making a double batch so you have a batch on hand in the freezer cause these babies disappear FAST!
If you can, definitely enjoy these bars warm so the chocolate gets melty and gooey! < the freaking best, trust me.
Let’s get some more easy grab ‘n’ go breakfasts in here!
- Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Coconut Breakfast Cookies
- Maple Cheesecake Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease OR line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk mashed banana, sugar, coconut oil, egg, yogurt, and vanilla together until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Fold flour mixture into liquid until dough is just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan. Garnish top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Bake breakfast bars at 350F 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool bars in pan on a wire cooling rack 1 hour before slicing into 12 large bars and serving. Enjoy!