Made entirely in the instant pot in under an hour and perfectly hearty, this Tuscan ravioli soup is fast to whip up and the coziest winter soup!
I’m sure there’s a law somewhere that says that this ravioli soup needs to be a permanent part of your soup season forever.
We don’t make the laws around here, we just make the soup. And lots of it.
And today we’re letting the instant pot take care of business. So that means there’s less than an hour standing between you and this bowl in your face.
We’ve made a lot of soups this season already, but this one might just take the cake.
Kinda hard not to love a soup when there’s big ol’ cheese-filled raviolis involved, ya know?
This Tuscan Ravioli Soup features…
- A rich, creamy herbed soup base
- Flavorful browned Italian sausage
- Tender sun-dried tomatoes and wilted spinach
- Rich, luxurious cheese-filled ravioli pasta
Making the Tuscan Ravioli Soup
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe
Ingredients You Will Need
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Italian sausage
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Dried herbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
Choosing Your Ravioli
We recommend using fresh refrigerated ravioli for this recipe. You can pick out ravioli with any kind of filling you desire!
Frozen ravioli will work with this recipe, but you will need to increase the cook time by an extra few minutes. For best results, we recommend sticking with fresh.
Tips for Perfect Ravioli Soup
- Brown sausage – use the SAUTE function on your instant pot to brown the sausage + onion until cooked through.
- Cook soup on high pressure – add garlic, chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes, and dried herbs to instant pot and cook on high pressure 6 minutes.
- Add spinach and ravioli – quick release the steam on your instant pot and immediately add spinach and ravioli. Lock lid back into place and allow to instant pot to sit turned off 4 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the ravioli is tender. Adding the spinach and ravioli last keeps them from getting overcooked and mushy.
- Add the cream – this gives the soup one last little rich kick!
How to Make Soup on Stovetop
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can still make this recipe! –>
- Brown sausage + onion on the stove in a dutch oven or medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken broth, and herbs and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add spinach and ravioli. Allow to cook in soup 4 minutes until spinach is wilted and ravioli is tender. Add cream to soup per recipe instructions.
There’s several ways you can make this recipe your own!
- Swap out the meat – cubed chicken, ground chicken, or turkey would work great in place of the sausage. You can also skip the meat entirely.
- Try another green – kale would be great in place of the spinach.
- Use another fresh pasta – any other refrigerated pasta such as tortellini will work great in this recipe.
All the flavors and textures are just a dream in this soup, y’all. The creamy soup base, the tender raviolis and sun-dried tomato slices, the salty browned sausage…it’s just soup magic.
Don’t worry, the leftovers are also top-notch! But definitely don’t expect to have any…
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More incredible winter soups to try next!
- Turkey Orzo Kale White Bean Soup
- Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Chili
- One Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Instant Pot Tuscan Ravioli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups firmly-packed baby spinach (or chopped kale)
- 1 (10 oz) package fresh cheese-filled ravioli
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or coconut milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread for serving
- Heat a 4-qt instant pot using SAUTE function. Add olive oil and swirl to coat bottom of instant pot. Add Italian sausage and onion and saute 5-8 minutes until sausage is browned. Add garlic and saute 1 additional minute until fragrant.
- Turn off SAUTE function and add sun-dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, and chicken broth to instant pot. Screw instant pot lid on and close steam vent. Cook soup on high pressure 6 minutes, then quick-release steam vent.
- Immediately add spinach and fresh ravioli to soup and stir to combine. Cover instant pot with lid and let stand 4 minutes until spinach is wilted and ravioli is tender. Stir cream into soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup hot with grated Parmesan cheese on top and crusty bread for dipping. Enjoy!
I made this today on the stovetop. I used all the ingredients, just didn’t use Instapot and it is delicious! My husband, who I have been cooking for for 50 years said it is the best soup I have ever made. I would give it 10 stars if possible!
What an amazing compliment. 🙂 So happy to hear you’ve found a new soup favorite, Carol!