These pull apart jalapeno cheddar biscuits feature incredibly flaky homemade biscuits with gooey cheddar cheese and a spicy jalapeno butter.
There is zero resisting the biscuit goodness you see here today. Even on regular terms, how in the world do you resist a good homemade biscuit??
Now try to imagine what happens when you throw a bunch of cheddar + jalapeno butter into the biscuit party…
You end up eating the whole pan solo, that’s what usually ends up happening.
This isn’t your average biscuit, y’all. It’s like biscuits on steroids and yes, there is PLENTY of cheese involved, don’t even worry about it.
Just worry about how you’re going to hoard all these little gems to yourself.
These Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits feature…
- A super light, flaky buttermilk biscuit base
- Gooey cheddar cheese baked between each biscuit for a fun pull-apart effect
- A spicy jalapeno butter brushed on top of hot biscuits
Making the Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder
Make Ahead Instructions
These biscuits are a dream to make ahead of time so you can have them fresh with almost zero work! Check out this time saver. –>
Biscuits may be cut out + assembled in pan and stored covered in the fridge up to 4 days. Proceed with baking biscuits and brushing with jalapeno butter as recipe instructs.
Tips for Perfect Biscuits
- Measure flour correctly – we use the spoon-and-level technique for measuring flour as this will prevent over-measuring your flour. Use a spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then level with the back of a knife.
- Keep your fats cold – you want your buttermilk and butter to be as cold as possible prior to mixing up the biscuit dough. Cold fats = a biscuit that will rise into many irresistible flaky layers!
- Gently fold biscuit dough – make sure you use a light hand when mixing the dough and only fold until just combined. This will keep your biscuits light and flaky.
- Stuff cheddar cheese between biscuits – this is how we’re going to get that fun pull-apart effect! Arrange the biscuits in an 8×8 baking pan and stuff shredded cheddar cheese between biscuits, sprinkling any remaining on top.
- Bake biscuits at 400F – because we’re baking these biscuits together, they will take slightly longer to bake than regular biscuits. Check them anywhere between 30-35 minutes. Biscuits are done when they are a deep golden brown.
- Brush biscuits with jalapeno butter – make a quick jalapeno butter on the stove by sautéing minced jalapeno in butter until tender, then mix in a pinch of garlic powder. Brush warm biscuits all over with jalapeno butter.
There’s several different ways you can make these biscuits your own!
- Skip the jalapeno – if you’re not a fan of spicy, make it a garlic butter instead! Sauté a few cloves of minced garlic in butter, then brush over warm biscuits.
- Change up the cheese – gruyere, swiss, gouda, etc. You can even do a combo of cheeses if you’ve got several that need to be used up!
Storing and Freezing Biscuits
If possible, we recommend serving biscuits fresh out of the oven and warm so the cheddar is gooey!
However, if you would like to store biscuits, they will store fine in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days. Reheat biscuits in microwave 30-45 seconds for serving.
You can also freeze biscuits up to 1 month. Thaw completely, then reheat in microwave for serving.
Y’all, it’s just impossible to not be utterly obsessed with these biscuits. Pulling them apart is seriously the most fun, the biscuits are so so flaky, and the jalapeno + cheddar combo is 10/10.
We wouldn’t blame you in the slightest if you decided to make these biscuits your main meal. Been there, done that!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More bread sides you will definitely want to try next!
- Green Chile Cheddar Beer Bread
- Garlic Cheddar Skillet Dinner Rolls
- White Cheddar Bacon Scallion Scones
Pull Apart Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, grated on box grater and frozen
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut butter into crumbly. Add buttermilk to flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and very gently knead several times until dough just comes together. Pat dough out to 1-in thickness and use a 2-in biscuit cutter to cut biscuits out (you should have 6)
- Arrange biscuits in prepared pan. Stuff cheddar cheese between biscuits, sprinkling any remaining on top of biscuits. Chill biscuits in fridge 10 minutes.
- Bake biscuits at 400F 30-35 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Set aside for a moment while you prepare the jalapeno butter.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add jalapeno and sauté several minutes until jalapeno is softened. Remove from heat and stir in garlic powder.
- Brush jalapeno butter over warm biscuits. Pull biscuits apart to serve warm. Enjoy!