This baked French onion gnocchi is like a heartier version of the classic soup! Tender gnocchi is baked in a flavorful caramelized onion beef broth with lots of rich cheese on top and French bread slices for dipping.
French onion soup lovers, this gnocchi just has your name written all over it!
It’s everything you love about the classic soup, only we’re stepping it up a notch today and adding tons of gnocchi action and flipping things around into casserole form.
Let me tell you, this is the one comfort food you need in your life. Promise.
This is the kinda dinner that will seriously impress anyone you serve it to AND you can pull it together in about an hour with only 9 ingredients!
Let’s be honest – it’s just the kind of food everyone needs.
This French Onion Gnocchi features…
- Tender gnocchi.
- Flavorful caramelized onions in a rich beef broth.
- A layer of gooey swiss cheese baked on top.
Making the French Onion Gnocchi
(scroll down to the bottom of post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Beef broth
- Swiss cheese
- French bread
How to Caramelize Onions
You will need 1 large sweet Vidalia onion to make caramelized onions. Slice the onion into thin strips and it’s ready to go!
The trick with caramelizing is a slow cooking process to slowly bring the natural sugars out of the onion. You’re going to want to cook the onion in a little butter + olive oil over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are a deep caramelized brown.
That’s it! Caramelized onions are such a flavor boost to many dishes and a great thing to make ahead of time to store in the fridge for finishing this recipe later.
Tips for Perfect French Onion Gnocchi
- Deglaze caramelized onions – deglazing the pan with white wine helps you get the flavorful browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Use fresh thyme – we love the flavor fresh thyme gives this gnocchi, but you can also use 1 teaspoon dried thyme in place of the fresh.
- Simmer gnocchi in beef broth – allow the gnocchi to simmer in the beef broth until a lot of the liquid is evaporated and gnocchi is tender.
- Bake gnocchi at 400F – if you want an extra-browned cheesy top with crispy edges, finish off the gnocchi with 1-2 minutes of broiling once its done baking.
- Serve gnocchi with French bread – toast a few slices of French bread and use this as dippers for the gnocchi!
Try these ideas for a different twist on this recipe!
- Add meat – browned sausage, bacon, or shredded chicken would be a great meaty addition.
- Change up the cheese – try shredded provolone, Monterey jack, or asiago.
- Skip the white wine – for an alcohol-free version, just use extra beef broth in place of the white wine.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can assemble the majority of this baked gnocchi ahead of time for a dinner time saver!
Follow recipe instructions through step two, then scrape gnocchi into baking dish and store in refrigerator up to 2 days until you are ready to bake.
When ready to bake gnocchi, top with cheese and bake per recipe instructions (you may need to add a few additional minutes to bake time if you are baking the gnocchi straight from the fridge)
This is like French onion soup on steroids, you guys. The gnocchi makes it extra-hearty and the crispy baked cheese top is EVERYTHING when you dip toasted French bread slices into it.
Meet your new comfort food lover!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More hearty gnocchi dishes to try next!
Baked French Onion Gnocchi
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 lb gnocchi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded swiss or gruyere cheese
- 8-10 slices French bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions and stir occasionally until onions are a deep caramelized color, about 20 minutes.
- Deglaze pan by adding white wine and scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add thyme and beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add gnocchi and stir occasionally over medium heat until gnocchi is tender and sauce is thickened and reduced, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season gnocchi with salt and pepper to taste and scrape into a medium greased baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake gnocchi at 400F 20-25 minutes until cheese is lightly browned and gnocchi is bubbly.
- Serve gnocchi with French bread slices for dipping. Enjoy!