Pan-fried gnocchi meets tender butternut squash and flavorful roasted garlic in this easy butternut squash and gnocchi skillet!
We’re slowly making the transition into fall foods on the dinner menu and this butternut squash gnocchi is totally ticking all the boxes right now.
Mostly cause it comes with a truckload of Parmesan AND only calls for 8 simple pantry ingredients.
Keeping dinner easy as heck this time of year but still pulling out a little creativity is what we’re all about.
Butternut squash is definitely one of our favorites around here and turns out roasting it with tender kale and tossing it with pillowy gnocchi is just about the best thing ever.
I’m talking actual dinner goals here…
This Butternut Squash and Gnocchi features…
- Crispy, pillowy pan-fried gnocchi.
- Tender roasted butternut squash and kale.
- Flavorful roasted garlic and rich Parmesan cheese.
- Only 8 ingredients and 45 minutes to make.
Making the Butternut Squash and Gnocchi
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter
- Parmesan cheese
How to Prepare Butternut Squash
You will need one small butternut squash for this recipe (about 3 cups worth)
Prep the butternut squash by trimming the ends and cutting in half length-wise. Use a knife to remove the skin from both pieces and then cut squash into 1/2-in wide planks. Cut the planks into 1/2-in cubes and your butternut squash is prepped and ready to go.
Tips for Perfect Butternut Squash and Gnocchi
- Cut butternut squash into uniform size – uniform sizing will ensure that the butternut squash cooks evenly.
- Roast garlic cloves whole – the garlic will get perfectly soft inside the skins while it roasts making it easy to slide out of the skin and mash into a paste once its finished.
- Pan fry gnocchi – boil the gnocchi per package instructions, then immediately pan fry in a little bit of butter to get a crispy exterior.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this gnocchi!
- Try another squash – acorn squash or delicata would be great replacements for the butternut.
- Add meat – browned sausage or bacon bits would be a delicious meaty addition.
- Use another green – try spinach in place of the kale. Instead of roasting spinach, saute on the stovetop in a little olive oil until wilted, then toss into the squash.
- Try a different cheese – sharp cheddar, asiago, feta, or gouda would be great replacements for the parm.
Storing and Reheating Gnocchi
This gnocchi stores well in the refrigerator up to 6 days. To reheat, microwave gnocchi in individual servings 2-3 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals.
This is seriously the world’s most simple gnocchi dish ever, but holy cow the flavors! The soft butternut squash, tender kale, and nutty roasted garlic is out of this world paired with the crispy gnocchi and sharp Parmesan.
Make no mistake, fall dinners that look like this are here to stay for awhile.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More easy dinners that feature gnocchi!
Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash and Gnocchi
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 cups firmly-packed chopped kale
- 6 unpeeled cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb gnocchi, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 400F and lightly grease a large sheet pan. Combine butternut squash, kale, garlic, olive oil, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste on sheet pan and arrange in a single layer.
- Roast butternut squash at 400F 25-30 minutes until squash and garlic is tender and kale is crispy. Remove skins from garlic, finely mash into a paste, and toss into butternut squash/kale.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi and fry in a single layer until golden brown. Flip gnocchi and add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and fry until gnocchi is golden brown.
- Remove gnocchi from heat and add roasted butternut squash/kale mixture, tossing until evenly combined. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed, top with Parmesan cheese and serve. Enjoy!