Baked in a skillet and loaded with lots of fresh ginger flavor, this ginger apple crisp is incredible warm with ice cream or whipped cream and destined to become a fall staple!
Look no further if you’ve been in search of a knock-your-socks off, yet SIMPLE apple crisp!
Turns out a little fresh ginger and skillet action works wonders for apple crisp and results in this beauty.
All that’s missing is ridiculous amounts of ice cream and/or whipped cream on top. Definitely wouldn’t rule out both at the same time either!
If you’re a ginger lover, trust me when I say that this apple crisp is going to become your new fall go-to! Enjoying it for breakfast definitely isn’t off the table either.
This Ginger Apple Crisp features…
- Tender apple chunks with spicy fresh ginger.
- A buttery oatmeal streusel topping made with brown sugar and lots of fall spices.
- Bakes up in one skillet and ready in under an hour.
Making the Ginger Apple Crisp
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Fresh ginger
- Ground ginger
- Lemon juice
- Old-fashioned rolled oats
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Nuts (optional)
Choosing Your Apples
We’ve made this apple crisp with a variety of apples and found that it’s pretty forgiving as far as the type of apples you can use!
We recommend pink lady, honeycrisp, jonathan, or braeburn apples for this crisp. Feel free to mix a few different kinds of apples together if you have them on hand!
Tips for Perfect Apple Crisp
- Add lemon juice to apples – this adds a nice balance of acidity when combined with the sugar and prevents the apples from turning excessively brown.
- Cut apples in uniform sizes – we want the apples to cook evenly so uniformity when cutting the apples is super important.
- Measure flour correctly – we use the spoon-and-level technique for measuring flour as this will prevent over-measuring. Use a spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then level it off with the back of a knife.
- Bake until apples are bubbly and tender – use a fork to pierce apples to ensure they are soft-tender.
- Serve crisp warm – this probably goes without saying, but apple crisp is best enjoyed warm from the oven. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave.
Try these twists for a different spin on this apple crisp!
- Add more ginger – if you love a strong, spicy ginger flavor feel free to increase the amount of fresh ginger.
- Leave out the nuts – not a fan of nuts? You can easily leave them out.
- Add another fruit – dried cranberries or blueberries would be delicious mixed into the apple filling.
- Bake crisp in a regular dish – if you don’t have a skillet on hand, an 8×8 square baking dish will work fine.
How to Serve Apple Crisp
You can enjoy this apple crisp as-is, or pair it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream piled on top. Either way it will be amazing!
The punch of fresh gingery flavor really does elevate this apple crisp to another level! Other than that it’s got all the apple crisp essentials from the tender apple filling to a perfect ratio of buttery oatmeal streusel.
Apple crisp perfection right here! You are about to be obsessed.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More crisps and cobblers you should definitely try next!
Skillet Ginger Apple Crisp
- 6 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-in cubes (fuji, gala, honeycrisp, etc)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted melted butter
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Spread into the bottom of prepared skillet.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, pecans, sugar, spices, and salt. Drizzle butter over topping and toss until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over apple filling. Bake crisp at 350F 30-35 minutes until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Cool crisp on a cooling rack 10 minutes then serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!