Made entirely in one skillet in only 30 minutes, these caprese chicken bites are loaded with sweet cherry tomatoes, gooey mozzarella, and lots of fresh basil on top.
Just a skillet full of summer’s finest things! Which of course means were caprese-ing this chicken because it really doesn’t get any more mid-summer vibey than that.
The beauty of this skillet dinner is that it’s one of those you can pull off in 30 minutes, made entirely in one pan, and the ingredient list is SUPER minimal with only 9 basic ingredients.
Yet it tastes like the freshest, most restaurant-like chicken dinner you’ll ever have.
But yeah, no surprise there. I’m convinced that caprese anything can do no wrong.
These Chicken Bites feature…
- Tender seared chicken cubes
- Juicy cherry tomatoes and gooey fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil and tangy balsamic glaze
- Minutes to make with only a handful of ingredients
Making the Chicken Bites
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella
- Balsamic glaze
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. This cut of chicken is fast to cook up in the skillet and turns out super tender and juicy.
If you don’t have breasts on hand, boneless skinless chicken thighs will work great instead!
Tips for Perfect Chicken Bites
- Cut chicken into uniform cubes – try to get all your chicken cut into uniform 1-inch cubes so they cook at the same rate.
- Half cherry tomatoes – this helps the tomatoes cook up quickly so they get a little juicy.
- Broil mozzarella on top of chicken – this makes it just a little melty and it’s amazing!
- Top skillet with fresh basil and balsamic glaze – this brings the entire dish together – don’t skip these two ingredients!
Try these ideas for a different twist on this chicken!
- Add more veggies – fold sautéed zucchini, summer squash, green beans, or mushrooms into the skillet for an extra veggie kick.
- Try a different cheese – try scoops of ricotta, burrata, feta, or goat cheese in place of the fresh mozzarella.
- Make homemade balsamic glaze – if you can’t find balsamic glaze in the store, you can easily make it at home by reducing 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey over medium heat until thickened.
What to Serve with Chicken Bites
You have several options for what to serve these chicken bite with! They’re amazing alongside garlic bread with a green salad, spooned over your favorite pasta, or even stuffed into a hoagie roll for a sandwich.
Everything in this skillet just compliments each other SO incredibly well! The chicken bites are so tender and each bite is bursting with fresh tomatoes, herby basil, and gooey mozzarella.
Do we eat this straight from the skillet? Unquestionably, yes.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More caprese recipes to try next!
Skillet Caprese Chicken Bites
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella pearls
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling
- 1/4 cup firmly-packed torn basil leaves
- Place chicken cubes on a plate and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large oven-safe 9-inch skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan and sear 3-5 minutes on each side until chicken registers 165F. Transfer to a plate, keep warm, and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium-high heat and swirl to coat pan. Add shallot and saute 2-3 minutes until tender. Add cherry tomatoes and garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until cherry tomatoes are juicy.
- Remove pan from heat and fold in seared chicken cubes. Scatter mozzarella pearls over top.
- Broil chicken a few inches from heat 3-5 minutes until mozzarella is melted and slightly browned.
- Remove skillet from broiler and top with a few good drizzles of balsamic glaze and fresh basil. Serve chicken warm and enjoy!