Flavorful miso bumps all the flavors up in this rich and creamy miso pumpkin pasta! It’s ready in 30 minutes and goes well with any fall meal.
Meet your new favorite fall pasta! Featuring the creamiest, dreamiest, most flavorful sauce ever.
We’re covering pretty much all our bases today and including pumpkin, flavorful miso, a little cheesy Parmesan, and even a kick of red pepper flakes for some heat. I know, all these flavors sound kind of strange together but I’m telling you they WORK in this pasta!
Seriously, you’re going to have to stop yourself from eating it straight from the pan with your fingers.
This is one of those simple pasta dishes that doesn’t call for a lot of ingredients and you can pull it off in only 30 minutes. It goes SO well with chicken, beef, or pork as well.
This Pumpkin Pasta features…
- A rich umami flavor from white miso
- Creamy pumpkin sauce with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Tender fettuccine pasta
- Ready in 30 minutes with only a handful of ingredients
Making the Pumpkin Pasta
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Unsalted butter
- White miso
- Pumpkin puree
- Heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Fettuccine pasta
Choosing Your Pasta
This recipe works well with a variety of pasta types. We typically prefer a longer cut of pasta like fettuccine or spaghetti, but feel free to try these other kinds as well!
Tips for Perfect Pumpkin Pasta
- Sauté aromatics – cook the shallot and garlic until just tender and fragrant. Be careful not to overcook the garlic during this step otherwise it will add a bitter flavor to the sauce.
- Use white miso – white miso has a mild, sweet flavor that we found goes very well with the creamy pumpkin.
- Cook noodles to al dente – be careful not to overcook your noodles here as they will continue to cook a bit in the sauce.
- Reserve pasta cooking water – set aside 1 cup pasta water before draining your pasta – this will help thin the sauce into the perfect consistency.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this pasta.
- Add meat – try adding browned sausage, cooked chicken, or bacon bits for a meaty kick.
- Try a different cheese – try adding gruyere, sharp cheddar, gouda, or asiago in place of the Parmesan.
- Add veggies – try adding sauteed mushrooms, sweet pepper, kale, zucchini, or spinach.
- Make it spicy – we like topping this pasta with red pepper flakes for a little punchy heat, but you can also kick up the heat a notch by adding your favorite hot sauce.
These noodles are just a DREAM, y’all. The sauce is so rich and creamy while the miso and Parmesan work so much incredible umami flavor into it. You’re going to just love it.
And I’m off to eat my 3rd bowl, see ya.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More creamy pasta recipes to try next!
Creamy Miso Pumpkin Pasta
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz fettuccine pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for garnish
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallot and sauté several minutes until tender. Add garlic and miso and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin puree and heavy cream to pan and whisk until incorporated. Bring sauce to a low simmer, then remove from heat and whisk in Parmesan until melted. Cover sauce to keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water and drain noodles.
- Toss pasta into sauce until evenly coated, adding a few splashes of pasta cooking water as needed to thin sauce. Season noodles with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm with additional Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes on top. Enjoy!