Covered in flavorful pesto and grilled to smoky perfection, these grilled vegetables and penne pasta are an easy and totally amazing vegetarian dinner for the summer!
Sarah takes on grilled summer veggies. Part TWO, y’all!!
To be honest, I’m not even sure how these veggies can be real life. They are so, so, SO gosh-darn, hug-yerself GOOD.
And fitting rather nicely into our grilling theme for this week if I do say so myself.
P.S and before I forget: Psychhhhhhh! I bet you certainly didn’t think you’d see a vegetarian option on the blog at all this week, but I clearly like to keep y’all on your toes. —>
And grilled vegetable surprises may very well be the best kind. Like these pesto-smothered beauties for instance?
These are so amazeballs, they’re practically neck and neck with their cousin the marinated summer veggies. And I kid you not, that recipe is EXPLODING right now on the blog. I’m not the only one in a total summer veggie mode.
As with that recipe, today as you can clearly see, we’re using a legit rainbow of veggies. Colorful food = PRETTY food and you can’t deny that these are totally gorgeous.
If by any chance you don’t care for any of the veggies I’ve included in the ingredient list, no worries! Just swap ’em out for your favorites. I’ll try to just cry silent tears. 😢😢
As for the pesto, you can use any pre-made kind you want OR you can make your own. I linked up one of my faaaaaaavorite pesto recipes in the recipe below.
Seriously, my favorite. You should probably make a triple batch NAO so you can have these grilled vegetables every.dang.day for the next three months of summer.
Cancel all your other plans for the summer. You’ve got a hot grilled veggie date. 😙😙
- 2 small summer squash, sliced 1/4-in thick
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/4-in thick
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in half widthwise
- 1 large sweet pepper, sliced 1/4-in thick into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto (try this recipe!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz penne pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- In a small bowl, toss squash, zucchini asparagus, pepper, garlic, and basil pesto until evenly combined. Season veggies with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill veggies on nonstick tin foil over medium-high heat stirring occasionally until veggies are slightly charred and tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve grilled veggies warm with hot penne pasta. Enjoy!