Skip all the calories found in most pasta salads, and load up instead on this fresh, tasty orzo pasta salad. Jam-packed with lots of grilled veggies and tossed with a simple vinaigrette, you’re definitely gonna want seconds!
I wonder if we could even count all of the salad recipes I’ve been sharing over the past few weeks.
Sorry? Summer is full-on salad season as far as I’m concerned. Can’t stop and WON’T stop.
Salad is a good thing to binge on. Especially if it’s filled with pasta. And veggies, ’cause obviously we’re eating healthy here.
Seriously though guys, this salad IS, indeed healthier for you. I used whole wheat orzo pasta instead of white, threw in a boatload of summer veggies, and tossed it with a simple marinade, instead of a mayo dressing.
HEALTH-FOOD CITY! Sooooo go ahead and have 2 bowls.
You know you want tooooo…
This salad is one of my FAV lunch choices, but it’s so versatile that it’s perfect for a lighter dinner as well!
All you would have to do is add meat and you’ll basically have a full dinner on your hands. Or in your face, rather.
Vegetarian? No problem! Just skip the meat and load up on the veggies!
Okay, so this recipe is a SUPER-simple one. For real, it doesn’t get any simpler than this: Basically all you’re gonna do is grill up some summer veggies, toss ’em with some cooked orzo pasta, and douse it all in a simple lime vinaigrette.
KA-BOOM! Done and done.
Because this salad is so versatile and adaptable, don’t feel that you have to stop there! You can throw in really whatever ingredients you fancy! I’m thinking black olives, turkey, chicken, and/or any kind of cheese would go fabulously in this salad.
You will be the envy of everyone at lunch hour if you show up with this salad for lunch. And as I told you before, because this salad is so very versatile, you can totally make it for a cook-out or potluck side dish too!
Go ahead and indulge in this healthy orzo pasta salad. Your bikini will thank you. 😀
Grilled Veggie Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 medium squash halved
- 1 medium zucchini halved
- 2 medium sweet peppers halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb orzo pasta cooked according to package directions and 1/2 cup pasta cooking water reserved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of squash, zucchini, and sweet peppers with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill veggies, turning occasionally until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer veggies to a cutting board and cut into thin slices once cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, toss veggies with orzo pasta. Set aside.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine olive oil, lime juice, sugar, and garlic powder. Shake until smooth. Pour over pasta along with 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water. Stir in basil and season salad with salt and pepper. Refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
I’m a salad-aholic. What can I say? 😉