This is my family’s favorite homemade cornbread recipe of all time! It’s ultimately soft and fluffy inside and absolutely amazing with a bowl of hot chili.
Let’s be honest here. Chili night is just incomplete without homemade cornbread.
I mean, we’ve gotta have SOMETHING to drizzle with honey and then crumble on top of those piping-hot bowls of chunky chili.
Which, by the way is my all-time favorite way to enjoy cornbread. The cat’s pajamas, guys. My numero uno weakness in life.
Well, besides these brownies that is….
Ditch that cornbread box mix. I did say homemade which means completely from scratch. I’ve never had any great love for those box mixes anyway. The flavor doesn’t even compare. 😉
This is my family’s favorite cornbread recipe—It’s been tried and tested, by their uber-picky tastebuds and I’ve been tweaking it for years til it was perfect.
Obviously with all the chili recipes that have been going on around here lately calls for a worthy cornbread. And I just so happen to have that covered for ‘ya now.
So let’s talk about the factors behind what makes this cornbread so epic.
Buttermilk, two eggs, sour cream, and melted butter contribute the perfect soft texture. I wouldn’t suggest subbing regular milk for the buttermilk—that combined with the sour cream lends a lovely tang to this bread plus contributes a big boost of extra moistness.
A whopping two teaspoons of baking powder and just a pinch of baking soda insure that your cornbread will rise nice and high—nobody likes flatso cornbread!
I used honey and frozen-and-thawed sweet corn to sweeten this cornbread and to add a mellow corn taste—it’s the perfect balance of flavors together. You’re going to puree the corn just a bit in the food processor before adding to the batter—it will still be slightly noticeable texture-wise in the cornbread but not overpowering and will meld perfectly with the yellow cornmeal.
Just 20-25 minutes in the oven at 400F and you’ve got your perfectly-perfect cornbread ready and waiting for face shoveling.
Ooh gosh, guys and do NOT forget the honey for drizzling. It’s the BEST, warm with golden honey running down the sides.
Simple and nostalgic just like homemade cornbread should be. Your chili night just got a lot cornier. (pun intended)
Made-from-scratch cornbread for the WIN. 😀
The Best Cornbread in the World
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn thawed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Honey for serving optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line an 8-in baking pan with tin foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Place thawed corn and honey in a food processor. Pulse several times until smooth (mixture will still be slightly chunky) Add buttermilk, sour cream, and eggs to mixture and pulse several times until combined.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add liquid mixture. Gently fold several times until smooth. Fold in melted butter.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake cornbread at 400F 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cornbread slightly on a wire cooling rack before cutting into squares. Serve warm with honey if desired.