Sweet ‘n’ tangy and loaded with a triple-whammy of berries and lots of fresh rhubarb, this summery berry sauce is amazing over pancakes, waffles, and even ice cream!
Friends, summer starts……RIGHT now!! Because when I pick the first harvest of rhubarb out of the garden and whip up the first batch of rhubarb sauce of the year, you know summer is officially here.
Up until now, it hasn’t even been summer. That string of 90-degree days last week? Not summer because I still hadn’t picked the rhubarb yet.
Now that the rhubarb is picked and the sauce has been made a total of 3 times and a ‘countin’ we can make things official by breaking out the margaritas and um, watermelon kegs (!!!) to celebrate the lazy summer days that are now upon us.
Tomorrow is Friday, just in case you forgot.
And P.S.? Um that whole summer solstice thing? It LIES! Summer comes when it wanna comes. Or in my case, it comes when the rhubarb is finally ready to be used in all the things.
Oh, AND when I get my first watermelon, but I’m waaaaay ahead of the game on that one already. I think yesterday marked my 6th watermelon bought so far. Yiiikes.
So let’s discuss my new favorite condiment on the planet. Yep, I’m totally giving ketchup and mustard the shove because triple-berry rhubarb sauce is just where I’m putting my love and devotion right now.
Triple-Berry Rhubarb Sauce
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb diced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Waffles pancakes or ice cream for serving.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until fruit starts to break down. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let sauce simmer 15-20 minutes or until thickened and fruit is completely broken down.
- Serve sauce warm or cold with waffles, pancakes or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This 3-Ingredient Fresh Strawberry Sauce is yet another awesome way to use up those berries!