This homemade BBQ sauce is so easy to make at home in minutes and perfectly sweet, tangy, and loaded with flavor! Try brushing it on grilled meats or using it as a dipping sauce.
BBQ sauce lovers!! You haven’t lived until you’ve tried making this classic sauce from scratch at home.
Convenience-wise, you really can’t beat the bottled stuff but when it comes to flavor that’s where homemade absolutely shines.
And the best part is that it’s seriously the easiest thing to whip up in minutes and you can easily double or triple the recipe to have lots of BBQ on standby for whenever you need it.
Trust me, your grill game is going to thank you BIG time for this!
This BBQ Sauce features…
- A perfectly thick texture that’s very similar to bottled BBQ sauce
- Sweet, tangy, and slightly spicy flavors
- Only 15 minutes and one pot needed to make
Making the BBQ Sauce
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
How To Store Sauce
We love making big batches of this sauce and storing them in mason jars. They will store well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Can this BBQ sauce be frozen? Yes it can! Allow the sauce to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe container leaving 2 inches of air on top. Freeze sauce up to 2 months and thaw completely in refrigerator when you’re ready to use it.
Tips for Perfect BBQ
- Start with a ketchup base – ketchup has a lot of flavor in it and a perfect thick texture which serves as an amazing base for homemade BBQ.
- Use a mix of brown sugar and molasses – these two sweeteners add a perfect level of sweetness to the sauce and give it that signature dark, sugary flavor you’ll find in BBQ sauce.
- Simmer sauce – allow the sauce to simmer 8-10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this sauce!
- Add fruit – try adding 1/2 cup mango or pineapple puree for a fruity sauce.
- Make it spicy – add cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce to taste for a spicy sauce.
- Try a different sweetener – try honey or maple syrup in place of the molasses
- Make it smoky – add a few drops of liquid smoke for a smoky kick.
How To Use Sauce
The sky’s the limit for what you can use this BBQ sauce for! Check out some of these ideas…
- Grilled chicken, steak, or ribs
- Use as a pizza sauce
- Pulled pork, chicken, or beef
- Smoked brisket
- A dipping sauce for chicken tenders, wings, or nuggets
- Drizzle on top of burgers, brats, or hot dogs
- Homemade baked beans
For how simple this BBQ sauce is to pull off, you wouldn’t believe the amount of flavor we’re packing inside! It’s got the perfect level of sweetness, lots of flavor from the spices, and just a little tangy from the apple cider vinegar and mustard.
Your grilling game just got an effortless, yet MAJOR level-up!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this barbecue sauce made step-by-step on Google web stories.
Try these recipe favorites with your barbecue sauce!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes until bubbly and slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Remove barbecue sauce from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Cool barbecue sauce and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
This post was updated with new recipe tips and photos on 5/25/23.