These air fryer sweet potato fries have the perfect crispy texture with a flavorful seasoning blend and are unbeatable dipped in a spicy chipotle aioli!
We’re having a moment with sweet potatoes this week, y’all, just roll with it.
Next on the sweet potatoes agenda are the best-ever air fryer fries that come equipped with a purely addictive chipotle aioli.
So if you got an air fryer for Christmas this year, let these healthier fries be your maiden voyage! You will never look back.
It took quite a few batches to get these fries perfect, but it was worth it in the end! The crispy texture is nearly spot-on to their deep-fried cousin, they’re lightly spiced, and also surprisingly easy to make with only a handful of ingredients.
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries feature…
- A perfectly light and crispy texture.
- A flavorful blend of seasonings.
- Spicy, creamy chipotle aioli for dipping.
Making the Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Agave nectar
- Chipotle in adobo sauce
- Lemon juice
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
The size and uniformity of the sweet potato fries is super important for even cooking! We found that 1/4 -1/2-inch wide and about 3 inches long is the ideal size for a perfectly-cooked sweet potato fry.
We like to leave the skin on the sweet potatoes for the added nutrients and we also find it gives them a crispier texture. However, if you’re not a fan of the skin, feel free to remove it!
Tips for Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
- Use 1 tablespoon olive oil per sweet potato – we found that a good rule of thumb was 1 tablespoon oil per sweet potato for the best browning and crispy texture.
- Preheat air fryer – you want the air fryer already hot when you go to add the fries. We recommend preheating for 3 minutes.
- Air fry sweet potato fries in batches – it’s important not to overcrowd the basket, otherwise the fries won’t crisp up as nicely. Lay the sweet potato fries in a single layer for best results – we typically do about three batches for this recipe.
- Shake basket halfway through cooking – this allows the sweet potato fries to evenly crisp up on both sides.
- Keep cooked sweet potato fries warm – lay cooked sweet potato fries in a single layer on a sheet pan and keep warm in a 200F oven while you’re waiting for the rest of the batches to air fry.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this recipe.
- Make them in the oven – if you don’t have an air fryer, feel free to roast sweet potatoes at 400F in single layer on a sheet pan 20-25 minutes instead. They won’t turn out quite as crispy, but they will still be delicious!
- Make the aioli mild – use less chipotle for a less-spicy sauce or skip it entirely.
- Serve with a different dipping sauce – barbecue, ranch, or honey mustard are all amazing choices for dipping these sweet potato fries.
The best part about this recipe is that leftovers heat up just as good as fresh!
To reheat fries, spray air fryer basket with pan spray and lay fries in a single layer. Air fry at 375F 6-8 minutes, shaking basket once halfway through cooking, until fries are crispy again.
With how ridiculously light and crispy they are, you would literally never guess that these fries skipped the deep fryer! The creamy, spicy chipotle aioli is just the icing on this dreamy sweet potato fry cake.
And with how freaking easy they are to make?? Get ready for your air fryer to get the workout of its life.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch these sweet potato fries made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More air fryer recipes that you will definitely love!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce (plus 1 tablespoon sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb) cut into 1/4-1/2-inch wide and 3-inch long strips (you can peel them if you like, we like to leave the skin on)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine all aioli ingredients until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- In a large bowl, combine all sweet potato fries ingredients until evenly coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 375F for 3 minutes. Working in batches, spray basket well with pan spray and arrange about 1/3 of sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Air fry sweet potatoes at 375F 12-15 minutes until tender and crispy, shaking basket halfway through cooking. Keep first batch of sweet potatoes warm in a 200F oven. Repeat cooking with remaining sweet potato fries.
- Season sweet potato fries with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed and serve warm with chipotle aioli for dipping. Enjoy!