This big, cluster-y granola is loaded with a double-threat of chocolate and perfectly crisp and crunchy thanks to the healthy addition of quinoa.—You’ll want to eat this addicting granola by the handful!
The holiday weekend is over. Let the diets BEGIN.
But first: Granola. Uhhh priorities here, guys!
So your 4th of July, guys. Tell me about it! I’m hoping your long weekend at least involved a ton of red, white and blue uh everythaaaang. Mine sure as heck did since I ended up making both these pizzas AND these bars (a’la mode!!) for dessert on the 4th for the houseful of people we ended up having stay all weekend to celebrate the holiday.
There were fireworks to be shot off, corn-on-the-cob to be eaten, homemade (by yours truly) margaritas to be sipped, water fight wars to wage, lots of burgers to be grilled, and many memories to be made. ♥
Definitely my favorite weekend of the summer so far and I’m bummed that it’s over already.
But uhhhh I’m even more bummed over the fact that I have like ZERO leftovers even after the insane spread of food we put out yesterday. Like, seriously INSANELY huge. And leftovers today = nonexistent. Whaaatheheeeeck?
So anyway…who’s up for detoxing with granola today??
If you’re smart, say yes. Even if you’re crazy, say YES.
Okay, so don’t freak out just because I said the dreaded Q word in the same sentence as granola. Guys, if you were never brave enough to try quinoa in granola before, THIS is the recipe to start with.
The double chocolate factor helps a lot, it really does. Just sayin’.
This granola has quickly become a snacking GOTTA-HAVE around this house. Uhhh both breakfast AND snacking in the same day. Because it’s just that awesome and nobody so far is ANY the wiser that there’s super-healthy, protein-filled quinoa hanging out in there with the chocolate.
And I’m not about to tell ’em. They can enjoy the healthy goodness in ignorance. 😉
This granola is based off of this keeper recipe. Have you tried it yet?? That is seriously the best granola that you will ever try and just in case you don’t believe me, I’ll tell you that I almost always double the batch whenever I make it, but even then it STILL doesn’t last more than 2 days.
This is the even MORE health-ified, double-whammy-of-chocolate version. It’s just as insanely-delish and possibly even more so but the jury’s still out on that one. 😉
Totally huge clusters ready for picking off the sheet? √
Exploding with the chocolate-y insanity? √
Filled with the healthy, make-ya-feel-good stuff? √
Ready to take your breakfast/snacktime to the next level? √ √ √
Let us celebrate all things good and healthy, by eating the entire pan, m’kay??
Double-Chocolate Quinoa Granola
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, quinoa, pecans, coconut, chia seeds, cinnamon, sugar, cocoa, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk coconut oil, maple syrup, egg white, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread granola mixture onto prepared pan and gently flatten with a spatula. Bake granola at 325F without stirring 40-45 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden.
- Cool granola completely then break into clusters and either serve or store.
How was your red, white and blue-ish weekend? Eat any super-awesome food?
Just wondering why this needs an egg white?
The egg white helps bind it together, Margaret!