Southern-style citrus cornmeal pancakes are a match made in summer heaven with a sweet fresh cherry compote piled on top! These fluffy pancakes are the ultimate summer weekend breakfast.
Can I convince you guys to hop onboard the pancake train with me and completely ignore Tuesday?
Yep, the whole concept of Tuesday needs to just hit the road and make way for the Mt. Everest-sized stacks of citrus cornmeal pancakes. And her BFF the fresh cherry compote in rather ridiculous amounts.
Guys, I’m not gonna lie here. It’s the simple little things like this stack of pancake h-e-a-v-e-n that make my entire summer.
Sure, ice cream is nice (and also a requirement) and hamburgers are delish and all that other summer stuff, but it’s the simple summer eats like fresh cherries and piles of rustic cornmeal pancakes that really get my summer feels going.
For reals. I’m feeling a serious nostalgic summer VIBE today, y’all. These pancakes are proving to be pretty awesome brain food.
Also…I’ll just say it super quick so you don’t get all depressed on me or anything. It is July 12th and summer needs to sloooooooooow the heck down and just let me chill with my summer pancakes, please.
But you know what? The way I see it is this: we’ve still got the BEST parts of summer to come, y’all! This is the time of year when produce is at it’s peak, the weather is either gloriously (or not so gloriously) hot and we’re all wearing our full-on summer moods.
Seriously, after you’re done reading my post today and making yourself a ridiculous pile of pancakes, go outside and soak up all those summer vibes!
Speaking of which. Pancakes. We should probably talk a bit more in-depth about them.
First off, the ACTUAL pancakes. Sweet, citrus-y, ultimately fluffy, and oh gosh, the cornmeal makes them SO rustic and summery. It’s just my basic pancake batter recipe with a few pretty sweet twists.
I heart ’em a whole lot. ???
Let’s talk cherries, y’all. Pit a bunch of fresh black cherries and get your compote going! This is just a simple sauce with 4 ingredients all reduced to thick, syrupy soft cherry perfection.
It’s pretty amazing straight out of the pan but even BETTER on top of a pile of fluffy yellow cornmeal pancakes.
See exhibit A. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Which is now exhibit history. ???
Citrus Cornmeal Pancakes with Fresh Cherry Compote
- 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups pitted diced fresh black cherries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Make the pancakes: In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk egg, orange juice, zest, agave, butter, and milk until smooth. Gently whisk flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
- Heat a greased skillet to medium-high heat. Cook pancakes in batches by 1/4-cupfuls 1-2 minutes on each side. Keep pancakes warm while you make the compote.
- Make the cherry compote: Bring compote ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and let compote simmer 10-15 minutes until cherries are soft and liquid is slightly thickened.
- Serve pancakes warm with warm cherry compote. Enjoy!
Can I take you to pancake PARADISE?